Remove_duplicates

Hi there!

I got a working solution (I feel), but the test is giving me the following error message:

Oops, try again. Your remove_duplicates modifies the list that was passed to it. [4, 5, 5, 4] was modified to [5]. Perhaps you should make a copy first!

I don't feel this is what I am doing, I am copying the original list in a new list I call 'result'.
If I try the code with a list myself, the answer seems to be right.

Of course there is another way to do this but I thought of this way myself and now I would like to know if I am wrong or not. Could you guys help me out?

Code:

def remove_duplicates(list):
    result = list
    for x in result:
        test = x
        for y in result:
            if y == test:
                result.remove(y)
    return result

print remove_duplicates([1,1,2,2])

this:

result = list

will not make a copy of the list, it just creates a variable which points to the original list. You could use a loop to append the items of list into result, or use the built in list() function

You'll have to follow the tip from the exercise, it's pretty easy once you get a grasp of the requirement.

Here's what I did.

Define the function to accept the duplicate number list

def remove_duplicates(duplicate_numbers):

Then create an empty list, this is where you'll house the unique lis, i.e. no duplicates

duplicate = []

Loop through the entered duplicate list and store the numbers in the list as number

for number in duplicate_numbers:

Now loop again through the same loop, and store the numbers in the i variable, the idea here is to

Loop and compare all the numbers.

for i in duplicate_numbers:

Now check if the numbers are equal

if i == number:

If the number is equal, then check if it is present in your new list that holds unique item

if i not in duplicate:

If it's not present, then add it.

duplicate.append(i)
return duplicate

print remove_duplicates([4,5,4,5])

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses! I managed to finish this course :slight_smile: