Relative advantages of Python vs. other languages

Hello. What are the advantages of coding in Python than any other language?

Well Python does have a few good pros.

1. It is easy to learn as its syntax is quiet similar to spoken language.
  2. It is open source, any one can use it and modify it free of charge.
  3. It has many, oh so many, modules that can be added to it so that one can have it tailored to their needs. These include, data processors, game engines, GUIs, and more.
  4. The advanced user can add make their own modules to add to it.
  5. It has great online documentation, and a large community. Because of this it is very easy to find the information you need on a specific subject.

Do note though it is not without its cons:

1. It is a relatively slow language, since it is compiled on running it, the computer must process it before it can be run. This is contrary to a language like C++ which is compiled before running.
  2. Installing modules for it can be rather difficult, though it is not always.
  3. It is a very high up language so for the most part it can not control a computer as efficiently as a lower level language like C or C++ can.

Over all though it is a great language. It is good for beginners learning to code, it can be used for many things ranging from web developement to AI, and it is great for if you need a custom program built quickly for a specific need.

I would certainly recomend at least looking into it, if not learning it.

7 Likes

Good To Know! No wonders the syllabus for Python here, seems really extensive though with respect to the Data Science path.

1 Like

I’ll add my own thoughts although @8-bit-gaming put it very well.

It’s a good starter language in that it’s used a lot and learning it gives you a lot of good habits for general programming. This is because it tends to throw very useful error messages and forces clean(er) syntax. Some languages are used a lot but are clunky to for intro to programming (every-person-for-himself syntax, cryptic errors), and some languages are great for learning but don’t have a lot of practical use.

2 Likes