Reggie's Linear Regression / Command Line on a Chromebook?

Hello! :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry for asking what might be a really dumb question – please bear with me, I’m a complete neophyte here.

So my main device at the moment is a borrowed Chromebook.

I would like to know if there’s an easy way to have the terminal / bash / Python / the notebooks set up for a Chromebook. All of the ways that I have found so far require turning on Developer Mode or the dev channel, which will powerwash the device, and I really can’t do that. :confused:

I also have started going through the Command Line course, got to the part where I have to get bash running in my computer… same issue.

Is there any way to complete this project / Command Line course at all from a browser? Maybe a “practice” app I could get for my phone? Or would it be better to just skip it and keep practicing with online materials until I can get a normal computer of my own? I’m worried because I don’t want to miss out on learning anything that could be useful, especially if I need to learn this in order to move forwards.

Thank you so much in advance.

1 Like

@rainwound,

I couldn’t find any workable solutions either, and the most recent article from reliable industry websites was from 2017. Google started requiring manufacturers to lockdown Android OS and Chrome OS on licensed products “because users are our company’s biggest security threat.”

When you develop open source software for worldwide distribution and use, it’s inevitable that someone will decide to take a look under the hood and root the parts. And that’s what users did, oftentimes to fix bugs caused by system updates or to effectively remove rootkit malware distributed via apps downloaded from the Play Store (CleanMaster was a notorious vector).

Some folks weren’t so altruistic, so Google decided to play it safe and modify their product specs so that rooting them rendered them almost unusable. I say “almost” because they’d still work… you simply couldn’t connect to the internet or your carrier’s network.

Chromebooks are pretty tough to break, which makes them useful school netbooks. But it sounds like you’d need an actual laptop; I’d recommend visiting your local pawn shops or computer liquidation shops, they tend to have better prices, their stuff works, and you can haggle a bit. Good luck!

1 Like

@cyberluddite

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I appreciate it a lot. Hopefully this post will help others who find themselves in a similar situation.

I’ll look into getting an used machine and keep practicing with the available online materials in the meantime. I knew I would need one eventually (for other reasons as well) but I was hoping I could put it off a little longer, haha. :sweat_smile:

1 Like