Regarding having difficulties getting it with JavaScript

Hello byte, I can relate to a lot of the comments you are making regarding having difficulties getting it with JavaScript. Do not give up!!. I knew zero about coding. At first I could not even understand the concept of a variable, just like you. I took me a while, then I gave up because I was not getting it with the basics. I felt frustrated and depressed. After a while I decided to try again and finally started to understand more. If you keep trying, the subconscious part of the brain will begin to figure things out and you will notice. Works best when you try or study for 20 minutes then take a break of 10 or 15 min. At the beginning one hour and a half is more than enough but doing it every day works the best. Do not skip more than 2 days, the brain will forget and will fight against you even more. Now that I am beginning to understand a bit more, I am starting to like it more. I was never good in algebra and do not even remember calculus in college. I know basic math.
As I mentioned do not give up!!

3 Likes

Those are some wise words right there.

Also don’t forget that whenever you’re feeling stuck, @byte5723385929, you can always come here to the forums! We are all glad to help you.

Don’t give up on coding! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, I like reading the forums, I can learn more from here too. Have you been coding for a while also? How is your experience been?

1 Like

I have been coding for…I think 3 or 4 years now (I can’t really remember lol). I started out learning Python, and after that I moved to Java because I wanted to get into Android development. Android development has been the most exciting experience for me, because I would be able to use not only coding skills but also design ones. And yeah, I started working on many personal Android app projects (that I haven’t finished until now because of PROCASTINATIOOOON :sob: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Basically I have always loved coding because of the endless possibilities it opened to me. I have learned how to do good research and ask good questions (at least I think so lol). And since coding can be really really frustrating at times, I had to learn to take a break, go for a walk or something, and come back at my project with a fresh mind, ready to view my problem from a different perspective.

Aaaaaand I think I already wrote a lot lol :sweat_smile:
I tend to get carried away whenever I start talking about things I like :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Cool. That old PROCRASTINATION thing. I know it very well. I first tried python also like you did about 4 years ago here as well. I think I only tried it for a couple of months. I got frustrated because I did not understand the directions/questions very well on the lessons and python might have been a bit ahead for me at the time so I just left it alone. I kind of regret it, should have kept going. That was about 4 years ago. Then I took a course on web development and did well on most languages except PHP. So I did not pass my final project and did not get my certificate. I bought a course on JS from Udemy and was ok at the beginning but then further into it became more difficult to understand. So I am back here now and is working better for me now. I completed the code foundations here and helped me a lot . I do realize that the time I spent on the other courses was not waste of time. I’m a graphic designer as well and I know those skills will help me with web development.

Have you already applied to jobs? You mentioned you have completed personal projects. I think I can write much more but I’ll leave it at that for now. :thinking:

1 Like

I just signed up for the 30 day challenge. Have you tried it? I need it to build discipline and planing on applying for a job with in 3 months or less if possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, Python can be a little hard, but maybe it wasn’t that hard for me because I used ‘Python for kids’ books lol :sweat_smile:
I LOVE web development, but I only got into it like 6 months ago so I don’t know that much yet :stuck_out_tongue: (especially the back-end stuff. Right now I am taking the Node course here on Codecademy to get a taste of it)

And nope, I have never applied for a job (I’m a teenager), but I do help my dad with some of his projects, since he does have a job lol. And like I said I also work on personal projects…for example, I am currently working on a money management Android app for myself (and yes, I know there are already maaaany out there but I wanted to give it a try myself lol).

I did try the 30 days challenge quite a while ago, but I didn’t manage to complete it :sweat: I might try it again soon though, just to prove to myself I can do it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

That sounds great! A web development job, I imagine?

1 Like

That is cool that you help your Dad on projects.
And yes I would like to start my career change with web development. I do not see my self much creating websites but rather building applications within the websites. It looks like byte and others moved to other posts. :smile:

Oh, I see. That sounds good :ok_hand:

And yup, they did move :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Btw, did this quarantine thing help you get deeper into coding? I’ve heard it did for many, but for me it’s almost the same since I’ve always been homeschooled and don’t have social life :sweat_smile:

Hi, kind of but not at the beginning of the quarantine. At the beginning I was just watching too much tv, too much news and that messed up my sleep and felt depressed for a while. After that I did feel more motivated and I have been pushing to find more time to code. I don’t have much of a social life either. Why have you been always home schooled? If I may ask.

Hi again :relaxed:

Oh, that sucks :confused: But I’m glad you did end up finding more time to code :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, the education in the schools from my country isn’t that good (at least that’s what my parents have told me), so my parents decided they would homeschool me. I really enjoy it tbh, my Dad is such an amazing teacher in basically every school subject lol. Also, I get the chance to study other subjects I am personally interested in (like Astronomy). It’s really cool.