text = gets.chomp
puts "redact"
redact = gets.chomp
words = text.split("")
words = ("")
words.each do |words|
print "words"
end
i then type in the text and the redact and the error message: "undefined method `each' for "":String comes up, though it still allows me to go to the next lesson, why does this message come up ?

If your program crashed then you definitely didn't get it right. You should always check that your code has the desired effect before moving on

i haven't moved on do you have any tips

Look closer at the error message. It says that an empty string doesn't have a .each method.

Did you intend to use .each on a string? Can you see where in your code that happens? Do you intend for that value to be a string?

What I'm saying is, you need to build yourself a clear idea of what is supposed to happen, and then compare that idea to what happened instead - this tells you which parts need to be changed.

Have a look at these two lines. You just emptied your array.

well the exercise wants me to write an .each loop that goes through words and just prints out each word it finds. ?

Okay, so you want to be using .each on something that contains words, some kind of list. But the error message says you used it on a string right? And from that you can tell what needs to change.

yes it's obvious now
puts "text"
text = gets.chomp
puts "redact"
redact = gets.chomp
words = text.split("")
words.each do |words|
print words
end