Really don't see whats wrong with my code. When I run the example they give on my python, it prints the total of the numbers in the n list. But when I go to print compute_bill(shopping_list), it only prints the first item price not the total of all items

shopping_list = ["banana", "orange", "apple"]

stock = {
    "banana": 6,
    "apple": 0,
    "orange": 32,
    "pear": 15
}

prices = {
    "banana": 4,
    "apple": 2,
    "orange": 1.5,
    "pear": 3
}

# Write your code below!
def compute_bill(food):
    total = 0
    for item in food:
    	total += prices[item]
	return total

this is the code I'm using. when i run the code it says
"Oops, try again. compute_bill(['banana', 'apple', 'orange', 'pear']) returned 4 instead of 10.5"
it returns the value of banana instead of the total value of all the items in the list added up. i don't understand how you make all the items in the list add up

For this lesson, #11, we don't print anything.

We cannot tell if your indentation is correct since you did not format your post. Please learn how to do this so your code displays correctly.

Hint: on a blank line, type in three back-ticks

```

and Enter, then paste in your code, then Enter again and type in three more back-ticks,

```

Hard to tell without correct indention of the code. I'm guessing that it might be something wrong with the indention if you just get the first value added to 'total'..

Back off the indentation on the return statement by 4 spaces. (thanks for formatting, btw, but you should have left the rest of the code that was there, all the same.)

that makes it line up with def @mtf

def compute_bill(food):
    total = 0
    for item in food:
    	total += prices[item]
	return total

is how I'm seeing it. Should be,

def compute_bill(food):
    total = 0
    for item in food:
    	total += prices[item]
    return total

four spaces indent from left edge.

When indentation problems occur, we are often forced to go through our entire code and replace any tabs with 4 spaces, just to get everything matched up. It's a royal pain, and wish we had a tool for tidying our code to unify the indentation character.

def compute_bill(food):
total = 0
for item in food:
total += prices[item]
return total

just make a call for function

compute_bill(shopping_list)