Re-creating the Lodash Library: _.dropWhile using if...for. Code works but not sure why!

Hi there!

I’m on the lodash library project, the dropwhile section, and while I’ve gotten my code to work, I don’t quite understand why it’s working…

I didn’t use the findIndex method, instead using a for…if loop. The if loop checks for a truthy response from the predicate function, then uses shift to remove the first element… when it gets a falsy response from the predicate, the function stops and returns the array as it is at that point.

CODE:

dropWhile(array, predicate) {
    for (let i = 0; i < array.length; i++) {
      if (predicate(array[i], i, array)) {
        array.shift()
      } else {
        array.shift();
        return array;
      }
    }
  },

The error states:

Failed: _.dropWhile([1, 2, 0, 4], indexIsSmallerThanElement returned [ 2, 0, 4 ] instead of [ 0, 4 ].

If I amend the code to remove an additional element from the front of the array (commented out in the code above) it passes the tests but I don’t understand why. Isn’t the extra element that is being removed the one that has generated a false response so should be left on the array being returned - or have I not understood the requirement?

Maybe I just can’t see the wood for the trees on this one! Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

You must select a tag to post in this category. Please find the tag relating to the section of the course you are on E.g. loops, learn-compatibility

When you ask a question, don’t forget to include a link to the exercise or project you’re dealing with!

If you want to have the best chances of getting a useful answer quickly, make sure you follow our guidelines about how to ask a good question. That way you’ll be helping everyone – helping people to answer your question and helping others who are stuck to find the question and answer! :slight_smile:

all you’re showing is that the test doesn’t work

Just realised I forgot to comment out the fix in the code.

So the code that doesn’t pass the test:

array.shift()
      } else {
//        array.shift();
        return array;
      }
    }
  },

And the code that does:

array.shift()
      } else {
        array.shift();
        return array;
      }
    }
  },
1 Like

Would you be able to elaborate please? I can’t see what is wrong in the code I wrote, it’s supposed to remove array items until it gets a false response, which it seems to do.

You could construct inputs that would hit different code paths.

with a predicate of is_even:

empty array
all odd
all even
leading even followed by odd
leading odd followed by even

the version passing tests fail on all of those cases, so when you say it seems to do the right thing … then you probably didn’t look.

you can also tell yourself that if you find something to keep, then it should obviously not be removed – when you say you don’t know why it works, well, you’d read the code and reason about what it says and whether that is saying the right thing. the code you’ve written is the reason why, you already have an answer to that. if you don’t understand the code then you should ensure that you understand everything it’s saying. you don’t write code by writing things you don’t understand and then figuring it out later, you write code by deciding what should happen and using things you know and control to describe exactly that.

The other version fares better, but still fails on some of those inputs.