Range step

can you guys explain what step means in passing a range into a function? because it explains that each item increases by step, so in this:
range(6) # => [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
range(1, 6) # => [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
range(1, 6, 3) # => [1, 4]
shouldn’t it be range(1, 6, 3) #=> [4, 5, 6, 7, 8]?
because without the step it’s [1, 2, 3, 4, 5], and if step increases it by (in this case) 3 then it should be [4, 5, 6, 7, 8], what did i misunderstand?

Hi @codewhiz78307,

Whether or not a step is given, the sequence begins with the specified start value. If a step value is given, each succeeding value in the sequence is generated by adding step to the previous value. The extent of the sequence is limited by the stop value.

yeah, that’s what i thought, but that’s not what the example shows, because in the example it should be #=> [4, 5, 6, 7, 8], but it’s [1, 4] is this a mistake in the lesson, or am i just confused?

range(1, 6, 3) results in [1, 4].

Since the start value is 1, it begins with 1. Then, since the step is 3, each value is 3 more than the previous value. That gives us 4 for the second value. If there were a value after that, it would be 7, except that the sequence is limited by the stop value of 6.

ooooh, thanks i thought the “6” was referring to the number before you added the step