Quote Generator

This is my iteration of the mixed messages project. My project gives you a random quote and random background depending on how you are feeling. I don’t know if I followed all the criteria 100% but I had a vision of what I wanted to build.

Overall the project was not to hard. Learning proper syntax to reference files in the resources, as well as, styling the grid in HTML and CSS were the hardest parts for me. All in all it took about 5 hours. (This time includes me trying to debug a document reference error in node which can only be seen in the browser, not my brightest moment…)

I would like to go back eventually and clean up the redundant code in the JS file. I modulated it to specifically make sure each click event worked the way I intended it to.

Let me know what you think! :smiley:

Link:

Hi Andrew,

I think that this project was supposed to be built for the Command Line Interface (CLI) rather than the Web.
That said, I liked that you incorporated user input into the Generator to make it a little more interesting/unique.

I took a look at your code, here is my feedback which is mostly concerning readability:

1. Remove commented code where it doesn’t do anything or provide any useful information for the reviewer or future developer.
  2. Use your addQuote method rather than the constructor to make the code more easily readable. (Or if you prefer using the constructor then use that and remove the use of addQuote?)
  3. Think about storing your image array in the Feeling object too so that all things relating to a Feeling are kept together in one place to reduce complexity later on.
  4. Think about code style including clean indentation and ordering/grouping of your code.
  5. Your RandSelector functions would be a great place to start your redundant code cleanup that you mentioned.

I hope that you’re enjoying the course and that my feedback is useful.

If you get an opportunity, I’d love your feedback on my take on the project → Mixed Messages Portfolio Project Review Request

Cheers,
Charlie