Question

I have a question. Just randomly, on my own, I typed up some text on notepad and saved it as a .html file. When I opened it, it opened up in the browser. The thing is that I did not type it up with any tags or anything. it was just plain text like what I’m typing now. How is it that it still opens in the browser without any code?? What IS the point of using html code if it still opens in the browser without having to use code. As far as plain text goes I mean because I know that if I want to make it amazing I would need to add code to it.

Look at this website/forum, you can’t achieve something like this with only typing text. Then it would be one ugly looking piece of text.

Yes, browsers are smart. We can only write text if we want to, but then your website will never look pretty

Yeah, I understand that it won’t look good as this site and many others do. But as far as just plain text, it really isn’t necessary. Right? I mean, not that I’ll find a site with only plain text. I just want to know all the functions and abilities of html. You know?

those take time to learn, and you also have to learn how to fit it altogether

Yes, I know that takes time. My main question though is, for plain text, I do not need html code or any code to have it appear in the browser. Right?

Yes, for plain text you don’t html. However, to position and style the plain text, you do need html (and css)

You could just throw a huge chunk of text into an .html page and, yeah, you’d get a huge chunk of text on your screen. But you couldn’t format it into paragraphs, and such.

Say you wanted headings, and then paragraphs, and possibly bullet points, to get something like this:

http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

You’d still need to use some html. Without html, this page would just be a huge chunk of text.

How is it that it still opens in the browser without any code?? What IS the point of using html code if it still opens in the browser without having to use code.

Point is, text is text and will always be interpreted as text.
Code is interpreted as code and allows your to format text. Simple as that.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.