Question of the Week: Practice and Progress

Beyond what you’re learning on Codecademy, what kind of projects and coding practice have you done to hone your coding skills as you work through the course material?

1 Like

I am in my second year of college for graphic design. We are learning code and I am loving it. Were are using HTML and CSS for our projects. Codecademy has helped me immensely with understanding and sorting out the way I think and understand code. I am getting 92-98% in my assignments. This week I will be continuing on with HTML and hoping to get into CSS. I think I am also dreaming of myself coding. I love the patterns and logic of code. I also enjoy figuring out where I made the error (as long as it does not last more than an hour lol).

5 Likes

How it started: Good!
How its going: Great!

3 Likes

Codecademy has allowed me to explore my interest in coding and helped me automate some tasks to make me more efficient in my workplace.

3 Likes

Here are some things that I have done to practice and go beyond the course material ever since I started with Codecademy:

3 Likes

I got an internship at a company as a front end developer, hoping that it will turn into a full-time paid position soon. I finished the web dev codecademy course in March of this year, it hasn’t been easy to get a chance, lots of rejections.

2 Likes

Hello.

I often try things that are related to my work or that I think might be useful e.g. I wrote a class structure that was capable of accepting a range of data types for converting temperature (python).

I have been developing a site that children could use to learn/practice their times and division, it uses css, html and javascript. The javascript side has been a journey of starting with way too much code and then refining and improving it. I now run the times and division parts through one small function.

It can be difficult trying to find time for everything, but utilising the course content in different ways is really helpful.

Gavin

2 Likes

hi.

so what I’m finished with is: html, css, p5.js, python and javascript. so I’m planning to make my very first complicated chatbot.

and I’m on progress on the project codey jump in phaser

2 Likes

So far, I’ve learned HTML and CSS and now finishing up JS intro. Started around early September and has been going at it almost every day. Love the grind

3 Likes

I have been studying Python for about 2 weeks now, it’s been great for the first lessons, but as I conclude my coarse the things am asked to code just leave me hanging

2 Likes

How it started: Good!
How its going: Not so good.

I’m new to coding in general. I want to learn Swift to become an (indie) developer. My goal is to start a new career within 3-5 years and work from home so I can stay close to my family and determine my own working hours.

Currently I work as a graphic / UX designer. The creative part is fun. When it all works out. But, now that I am in my fourties’ I come to realize I like structure, order. Being a designer feels like it’s the opposite. It took me quiet some time to come to that conclusion. So, hence Codecademy.

The reason why it’s going no so good, is because I need to learn Swift in my spare time. I still need to find the right balance of spending time with my family, my volunteering work, Bible study (and daily Bible reading) and learning Swift (with no coding skills whatsoever). Hopefully I find that balance soon and I can continue to learn Swift on a daily basis on set hours.

2 Likes

In the last week that has passed I have started learning python, on my phone and on the PC. I have read all of the articles that Codecademy has suggested to me and I am trying not to break the daily grind/streak. I’ve learned about operators, lists and operations using them, booleans and strings. I m still at the start. Wish me luck.

1 Like

Say more @mibzall321! Share your secret sauce with us :wink:

I started with html and css and now I’m muddling my way through javascript. I love the problem solving and critical thinking coding involves. I’m frustrated with my progress, I go in fits and bursts in-between seasonal jobs, and I often have a hard time holding myself accountable to learning/practicing without deadlines or classes. I’m also worried I’m pursuing the wrong branch, I’m more interested in big data than in website design. But I guess any language you learn helps with the next ones! If anyone has any suggestions let me know!

2 Likes

I have done learn html learn (intermediate) css and learn (intermediate) JavaScript.

I made this simple HTML/CSS webpage: https://my-work.coolprojects.repl.co/

2 Likes

Nice! What kind of automation have you been doing?

1 Like