Question about starting Reggie's Linear Regression

Started the Learn Python 3 course and it was going smoothly until I got to Reggies Linear Regression.
https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python-3/informationals/python3-reggies-linear-regression

Basically, it seems like I’m confused with how Command Line, Git Bash, CMD, Jupyter, and Python all fit together and interface.

It says the Command Line course is required, and I’m about 30% done with this course. I now know how to navigate to different locations and how to delete and copy etc, files.
Do I absolutely need to complete the entire command line course to learn python?
Is it required to proceed with Jupyter Notebooks and the Reggie’s Linear Regression lesson?
I just find this Command Line course to be very boring and would be great if I didn’t have to take this course if it’s not absolutely required.

I am also having a hard time installing Jupyter. I tried following the instructions on the how to install Jupyter page, but still having a hard time.
When someone says “open up a terminal” does that mean CMD.exe? or Git Bash? or something else?

If you could help with any of these questions that would be great.

Thanks.

1 Like

I took the same course and was also confused about how to do projects on my own computer.

Learning the command line is not necessary to learn python, but it’s certainly a useful skill to have if you’re planning on building and saving python projects on your computer later on. Personally, I didn’t complete the command line course until I finished the entire python course, and I was fine.

I had difficulty installing Jupyter Notebooks, and was only able to do so after about an hour of digging around online. Can’t help you in that regard :frowning:

When somebody says “open up a terminal”, they are telling you to simply open the “terminal” application.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

On windows I don’t think full knowledge of the command_line is needed, though I might be wrong.

For doing a project on your computer, all you need is a text editor and the python files.
I would recommend sublime as an editor, sorry I don’t have a link,
It is pretty much just like the text editor in the lesson.

You can also type into any notepad app you have as long as it lets you modify how you save the file. Just save it as all files, and append .py to the end of the name.

I hope that helps

Thanks for the replies!
Glad to know Command Line isn’t totally required for Python.

I was also able to get Jupyter installed and running after some time clicking around the web.

Also regarding my question about what exactly the “Terminal” is, I was confused whether to use the Windows CMD.exe or Miniconda. In the case of installing/using Jupyter, Miniconda was the correct answer.
CMD didn’t recognize the commands I was typing in, but Miniconda did.

Thanks again.

Hi there. Welcome to the forums!

No, you don’t really need any understanding of the command line to learn Python.

That being said, a basic familiarity with a command line interface would be a good thing if you’re intent on becoming a developer. Quite a lot of cloud platforms are increasingly command-line driven - especially if you want to do things efficiently.

Similarly, the command line is incredibly useful if your build environment is scripted.

In short, it might be something you can safely ignore for now, but it’s likely you’ll need it sooner or later.

I have a deep understanding of the command-line, and had no problem installing Jupyter and an IDE to use outside of the browser. What I don’t get is how the Python 3 course jumped from Loops right into Linear Regression. I’m pretty lost right now.

1 Like

I think the idea is that you’re applying lists and loops to a “real world” scenario.

I haven’t done the project myself, but I’d be surprised if the focus wasn’t on just using loops and lists to accomplish the tasks being set rather than delivering a thorough understanding of statistical modelling and linear regression.

tl;dr: focus on the coding steps being set, not so much on understanding what a linear regression is in any great detail. (You can cover that later on if you decide you want to do data analysis with Python.) :slight_smile:

just to be sure I am thinking of the same thing,
is the command line the same as windows command prompt, or the old DOS operating systems?

“Command line” is generally used as a term to describe any non-GUI interface.

The Windows Command Prompt is one example of a command line interface (CLI), Bash being another. If you have to type commands, e.g. g++ some_code.cpp, to get the computer to do something then you’re using a CLI.

1 Like