Question about return in method using Lesson 19

Link: Ruby. Methods, Blocks, & Sorting Lesson 19

So I have been putting some code in lesson 19 on "Methods, Blocks, & Sorting." I put some code to verbose the progress so I could understand how does 'sort' method work. First, I thought whatever code that goes inside 'sort' method, this method only receives "-1, 0, or 1" for each of its iteration. With that in mind, I made a function (I called it sort__value__desc)to print the progress. This worked, I could see the progress. But then to add clarity, I 'upcase'-ed both item that were sent to sort__value__desc. In this function I only return an integer for every if. The question is: Why does the sorted strings are upcased too? Shouldn't those upcased strings are only in the function?

def sort_value_desc (a, b)
    a.upcase!
    b.upcase!
    if a > b
        puts "Comparing #{a} to #{b}. Result: -1"
        return -1
    elsif a < b
        puts "Comparing #{a} to #{b}. Result: 1"
        return 1
    else
        puts "Comparing #{a} to #{b}. Result: 0"
        return 0
    end
end

fruits = ["orange", "apple", "banana", "pear", "grapes"]
itr = 1
fruits.sort! do |fruit1, fruit2|
    puts "Iteration #{itr}"
    itr += 1
    sort_value_desc(fruit1, fruit2)
end

And the results (see the last line in red to see what I mean):

Iteration 1
Comparing ORANGE to BANANA. Result: -1
Iteration 2
Comparing BANANA to GRAPES. Result: 1
Iteration 3
Comparing ORANGE to GRAPES. Result: -1
Iteration 4
Comparing APPLE to GRAPES. Result: 1
Iteration 5
Comparing PEAR to GRAPES. Result: -1
Iteration 6
Comparing APPLE to BANANA. Result: 1
Iteration 7
Comparing ORANGE to PEAR. Result: 1
["PEAR", "ORANGE", "GRAPES", "BANANA", "APPLE"]

You are modifying a and b, you could create up-cased copies instead for the sake of comparing
Oh and I do think that should be considered reverse order.. but then again if that's what you wanted then it makes sense to invert the comparing code

Isn't 'a' and 'b' are local variables that shouldn't be sent back to the method/function that call it? Because I didn't return 'a' nor 'b'. Hmm, or ruby treats variables different then other programming languages (like c#)?

Yes and no.

They are local, but the values are references to strings, same strings as are in the list

(references are more like pointers than c# references which mean more like "same variable")

I think passing a list (an object) to a function in c# would be the same thing, I'll see if I can manage a few c# lines as an example

using System.Collections.Generic;

public class Example {
    public static void Main() {
        List<int> list = new List<int>();
        f(list);
        foreach (int num in list) {
            System.Console.WriteLine(num);  // prints 5
        }
    }

static void f(List<int> list) {
        list.Add(5);
    }
}

Thanks a lot ionatan. This is my first time returning to programming since years but, isn't that because you made a 'static' method? Btw thanks a lot for doing this :slight_smile:

Static just means that it can be called on its own, without the context of an object

For example, List.Add is not static - it only makes sense to call in the context of a List object

The Main method has to be static. I could have instantiated Example and then called f on that instance, but the f method wouldn't be using that object anyway, so it may as well be static

Gotcha, thanks a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.