Querying Baseball data off platform project

I am trying to follow your steps as I need to specify the path to my Postgres bin. Nevertheless, the file does not exist (I am using Mac). How can I locate this file? Any piece of advice would be of tremendous help!

davbyron’s solution worked for me in Linux Ubuntu after I altered the pg_hba.conf file to no longer require permissions/password for the user ‘postgres’. I followed the instructions here:

Changing “peer” to “md5” as listed in those instructions prompted me for a password for the ‘postgres’ user, which I didn’t have. I instead changed “peer” to “trust” and the issue was solved.

Hello, everyone, I have the same problem. My system is windows 10. Postgres 13, pgadmin 4. I get a syntax error in my client. tried these command-line prompts but still the same error I get. (syntax error in line 688 ) Also, I get errors in the command line as well. I am now so frustrated as I uninstalled and reinstalled everything a few times . Also tried different versions of Postgres but still, nothing seems to be working for me. I’m so close to giving up this course :(. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, please?

Hello, guys!

Here is my tutorial how to set up the server and copy the database. I’m Mac user, but I hope that it will be useful for Windows users too.

1. First of all open Postgres and start your local server. Also note your port number, by default it is 5432.

2. You will see three default databases. Choose one and click it twice.

3. It will open Postgres process in Terminal. Copy and save the link of psql with the port number, it will be needed later.

4. Enter the command CREATE DATABASE baseball; and press Enter button. It will create the empty database named baseball.

5. Don’t close Terminal window. Click into the database area in the Postgres app for to refresh it. You will see your new database.

6. Next step open downloaded folder with necessary files. Also open new Terminal window. Move baseball_database.sql file into new Terminal window for to see the full path of this file. Copy and save this path.

7. Now we need copy existing baseball_database.sql database into our empty baseball database. We will use command like this our_database_name < existing_database_name. Here we need our copied and saved lines.
    In the new Terminal window or in the window where we have found out the database path print the_first_copied_line baseball < the_second_copied_line and print Enter button.

Now we have the baseball database which is the copy of baseball_database.sql.

We can open and see at baseball files. I use Postico free version as PostgreSQL Client.
Choose New Favorite and fill fields with your information. Print baseball as database. Click Connect. Remember that your local Postgres server should be active.

And here all tables from baseball_database.sql.

I hope it was useful. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

one more detail. on windows i got win32 error when trying to do this. In the file path of the .sql file, you need to add one more forward slash beside each forward slash, then it works.

1 Like

Thanks Dav. Worked successfully.

It works for me.
Thanks a lot!!

Hello,
I’m a beginner to SQL. I’m trying to install and start the Postbird, and when is starts I enter the username: postgres and password: postgres (as per the instructions) but when I click the Connect button I get a Connection Error. Please who can help.
Postbird

Scroll further up in this thread. There are answers to this question above.

My system is windows 10. Postgres 14, pgadmin 4. I tried these steps but still I cannot upload the database file (baseball_database). Here is a screenshot of the error:

Here’s what worked for me (Windows 10, Postgres version 14):

The steps I took:

1 - inside Postbird, created a database named ‘baseball

2 - copied the “baseball_database.sql” file provided by Codecademy to C:\Users\Public (this might not be necessary, but I had some trouble trying to import a CSV file another time, and accesing it from Public solved it, so, why not?)

3 - added psql to filepath, as described in @code3074961728 's answer to this thread (I’ll also copy the instructions here (bottom of this answer).

4 - from command prompt, cd into C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\bin

5 - from command prompt, ran the following command psql -U postgres -d baseball < C:\Users\Public\baseball_database.sql

6 - it asked me for my pass, so I typed in

Finally, it worked.

Add psql to filepath (credit: @code3074961728):

To add it to your filepath, go to advanced settings in windows, then environment variables, then path in systen variables. I added the following path C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\13\bin
The path you add depends on where your bin file is inside your PostgreSQL. Note I also have version 13 downloaded. You bin file is probably located in a similar location on your computer and should not be too hard to find. The bin file, i believe, is just the binary code of the computer program.

6 Likes

Can the Codecademy Team please compile a debugging list for the various issues? It is super tedious to trial and error your way through this thread, and many solutions expect some previous knowledge on PSQL that is simply not taught in the course.

5 Likes

@siger212 thanks a lot - it worked!!!

This setup and exercise escalated way too quickly compared to the lessons. I wanted to rip my hair out just trying to set this up and import the data. I’d suggest that Codecademy simplifies a method to get this working properly so beginners don’t need to sift through several forum threads to solve it. Furthermore, why jump to joining 3 tables in an off platform project when the assisted exercises were so much simpler? These projects are the ones that make you want to give up on studying…

3 Likes

Thanks That solved the problem :slight_smile: beside i am using Manjaro a linux distro so i had to create a role to my system usrname in psql to run the command that you’ve suggested.

Thanks! This worked perfectly for me.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Hello, I ma using pgAdmin and it seems to show me that the baseball.sql file has a syntax error and it would not load the file.I have no idea whats wrong. Can somebody please help me out.

if you scroll up in the thread there is a solution from user davbyron in Oct. 2020.

if that doesn’t fix it, then start a new thread please. this one has been solved.