Python via codecademy is trying to swallow a pig whole

Python is trying to get me to learn quickly... it makes sense but for a person who has never written code we are taking way to huge of bites. I am having to take a week to understand some of these things that say one hour.

Teaching me code does not mean you throw the words at me and hope I catch them, you work up from what I know and slowly integrate them.

Learning python now feels PAINFUL!

I go each week to a local bootcamp meetup and they laugh at the stuff on my screen!

Why is codecademy teaching in an IDE? When real companies use command line editors?

I can't get past this exercise and you guys have been giving me steps that were like 6" to make which is fine... until this one it worked but now you want me to make a 3foot vertical and remember too much in one jump.

I would love to see analytics on # of attempts vs falloff of the site.

#ValleyofFrustration
#newcoder

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-BxUFN/1/2?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

Replace this line with your code.

@paintstone,
The goal of the Python-course is to make you acquainted with class, list, dictionary and other aspects of the Python-based Interpreter.

You will not learn, how to think like a programmer,
breaking down each problem into logical-units
with the goal to create a copy of the reality.....

With a google search
best way to learn programming site:stackoverflow.com
for instance
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3088/best-ways-to-teach-a-beginner-to-program

No clue what's giving you trouble, but if you can identify it then you've got something that you can ask about.

General advice on writing code:
It's important to have a clear idea of what you want to make happen when you write code, so before you start writing anything, make sure that you've got a clear idea of what it is you're telling the computer to do.
When things go wrong, you'll need to start making observations to compare to that idea of what you want to make happen. Device little tests that you can do to find if it's doing what you meant and where it stops doing so. When you find somewhere that it does something else, look up how to do that something and/or correct it.
Don't ever assume anything to be true, find out instead.

On memorizing stuff:
Focus on what is being done, what is possible. Don't bother trying to memorize function names and syntax, that can be looked up. Just get an idea of what you can do.

IDE's
IDE's hide what is happening, that can be bad, there are many pitfalls with them. What you've got here is just an editor and a run button though, it's not super over-the-top.

Text editors
There's vim and there's Emacs. I don't think there are a whole lot of (serious) people running any other editors in the command line. The problem with those two editors is that they have steep learning curves which might not be what you need while learning the basics of programming!
I suggest getting a plain editor, like gedit, and then run the programs from the command line, and use the command line instead of a graphical file explorer (you can start gedit in the background and continue using the same shell) and you might want to run a python repl on the side to try commands before adding them in your code.

If the exercises are increasing too fast in difficulty, then it's even more important that you've understood things before moving on. You could do them again, click those reset buttons as you go or just make another account. If you know exactly how things work then you can mow through exercises extremely quickly, and if not, then the extra time is well spent on repetition. You can also look for other material, like this: https://www.hackerrank.com/domains/python/py-introduction and use google to find out what you're missing. Searching for information is an essential skill.

Whenever you encounter problems, try to identify what is preventing you from moving on, and work on that, whether by googling or asking for advice or just think about it for a while.

And finally, people just starting to learn how to code start out with a huge variety of skills and mindsets, some are already in a place that is functional for coding, others have a lot that they have to change about how they think. Writing code requires attention to detail because the computer does exactly what it's told, it doesn't do "what you mean". It's up to the programmer to line up events to get the program to produce the desired result, and not everyone is used to expressing themselves that way, instead relying on others to fill in the gaps as they communicate.

Contrary to what the OP would have us believe, it is nothing of the sort. It's more like, "More gruel, please."

Relying upon Codecademy to get a site or app actually launched is a null result. But if one didn't learn enough to get started, one was not paying attention. We must kickstart ourselves and then take what we learn one or two steps beyond...

Yeah codecademy is spoonfeeding its learners, constantly telling them what to type.

Just the same I can imagine that a person's understanding of programming may be such that following along really does become difficult, that there are a couple of doors to unlock, a few things to unlearn etc, that is in the way.

So just like with any other problem, it's a matter of identifying where the difficulty lies and comparing experiences with those that don't have that difficulty, there's an "aha" moment just around the corner.

On the nose. My point, exactly.

To extend this idea further, we needn't master a language to get the full benefit. It's a problem based scenario. We don't go around creating problems, those we encounter in our daily affairs. We go around solving problems, And for that we adapt and draw in all the necessary resources that meet the problem criterion.

I only learned as much PHP and JavaScript as I needed (in the past) to solve my problems at hand. The key here, as I believe was above expressed by @ionatan, is in identifying the problem to begin with. Until it is expressed in terms that can be addressed, it is a problem. Once expressed, it becomes a solution.

Some of us need to be spoon feed... you know that thing you do with a baby. In order for it to grow you put a freaking spoon in its mouth and it eats.

Not all of us know code (like me) some of us need extra help to understand what For NOT or Else if actually means.

Once I learn to eat for myself then I will take courses at UW but yes.

SPOON FEED ME PYTHON.

@paintstone
I heard of a projekt named scratch
which is served by the MIT.....

Scratch is a good program but we are trying to do data analysis so Python fits real well with that. Thanks for the recommendation!

@paintstone,
If DATA-analysis is your goal....
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4322559/how-to-get-started-with-big-data-analysis?rq=1

You will be confronted with...
How do you receive your DATA-set
JSON ??
flat-file ?? (csv or other format)

What do you want to REPORT....