Python or SQL?

Hi there - I’m debating about whether I should learn Python or SQL. I work in digital product management, and need to know enough about how to slice and dice product analytics data - so I’m struggling to decide which language would be a better use of my time.

Can you please let me know the pros’ and con’s of learning each - given my use case?

Thanks!

SQL’s purpose is editing, maintaining and reading huge databases, which I’d imagine you’d find quite useful, and it’s relatively easy to learn. The ‘Learn SQL’ course here on Codecademy is really simple and explains the basics quite nicely - I just went through it the other day, out of curiosity, and found it easy-to-understand and not too time-consuming.

Python does basically anything you could want, depending on how much effort you’re willing to put into it. It’s really simple to start with, then gets more complicated as you go on. You can do lots of fancy stuff with it, and it is incredibly versatile, but I’d probably suggest looking at basic SQL stuff first and seeing if that’s enough of what you want before trying to fight with python.