Python: LISTS AND FUNCTIONS Modifying each element in a list in a function

Hi guys I’m currently stuck with a problem. I am not sure what’s wrong with my code.

1. Create a function called double_list that takes a single argument x (which will be a list) and multiplies each element by 2 and returns that list. Use the existing code as a scaffold.

I initially typed the following:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def double_list(x):
for i in range(0, len(x)):
x[i] *= 2
print x[i]

double_list(n)

which turns out was wrong as I did not return the new list even though the output was correct and came as:

but after adding return as below:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def double_list(x):
x[i] *= 2
print x[i]
return x[i]

double_list(n)

The only output is 6

and this message pops up “double_list([0, 1]) returned 0 instead of [0, 2]”

Pls help. Also my indentations were correct its just not showing up on the posted version for some reason.

Do not print inside the function. Be sure to return the list, not just a single element.

Hi mtf, when I type out:

def double_list(x):
x[i] *=2

I am taking out each index from the range 0 to the end index on list x and multiplying it by 2 right? from what I know so far it’s looping through each item on said list. so when i add return x as below I’m returning the doubled list right?

def double_list(x):
x[i] *=2
return x

so why does my output for the following code comes as: [6,5,7] with an error “double_list([0, 1]) returned [0, 1] instead of [0, 2]”

following code:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def double_list(x):
      x[i] *= 2
      return x

double_list(n)

As suspected, this is inside the loop when it shouldn’t be.

Get it now! Thanks loads.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.