Python_Control Flow- review_ 13/13 first part

Hi everyone,
I am a little bit confused about the reason why I can’t go on with this project. The request is: The admissions office at Calvin Coolidge’s Cool College has heard about your programming prowess and wants to get a piece of it for themselves. They’ve been inundated with applications and need a way to automate the filtering process. They collect three pieces of information for each applicant:

1. Their high school GPA, on a 0.0 - 4.0 scale.
  2. Their personal statement, which is given a score on a 1 - 100 scale.
  3. The number of extracurricular activities they participate in.

The admissions office has a cutoff point for each category. They want students that have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, a personal statement with a score of 90 or higher, and who participated in 3 or more extracurricular activities.

Write a function called applicant_selector which takes three inputs, gpa , ps_score , and ec_count . If the applicant meets the cutoff point for all three categories, have the function return the string:

"This applicant should be accepted."

This is what I have done:

def applicant_selector(gpa,ps_score,ec_count):
  if gpa>=3.0 and ps_score>= 90 and ec_count >= 3:
    print("This applicant should be accepted.")

I have also tried to apply the function, and it works fine.
But I can’t go on with the review, because this message appears:
Expected the test values GPA = 3.0, Personal Statement Score = 90, and Extracurricular count = 3 to return the response This applicant should be accepted., instead it returns the response None.

I don’t understand what I’m missing, in particular, I’m confused about the reason why my function works, but it says the result is none. :exploding_head:
Please help me, :pray:
thank you so much.

The exercise is asking you to return the string, not print it.

return is useful when you want to store or use the value returned from a call to a function.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m so dumb… :sweat_smile: