Python Autocomplete

Hello All,

I’m fairly new here. I tried to search for the answer but I couldn’t find it.

Is there a shortcut to autocomplete syntax and variable names in Codecademy?

For example, If I have a variable called get_destination_index, I want to type get_de and want the code editor to complete it.

Thank you for your time :slight_smile: :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @hazemsadek!! Welcome to the Codecademy forums!! :grinning:

Though a good portion of text editors, like VSCode, offer autocomplete, I don’t believe there is a way to do it on Codecademy.

It may be that they just never added it, though I believe it is more to help you memorize typing each statement/function/attribute/element/etc.

4 Likes

like @8-bit-gaming says, text editors are the way to go.

I personally use Sublime and love it (and sometimes PyCharm). Occasionally I’ve used atom and vs code before also (they’re great).

Rule of thumb with these. Pick one and get good at using it. They are worth the time investment with the hot keys that can save you soooo much tedious work. For example, control/command d let’s you highlight multiple instances of the same word, so when you have changing variable names be an issue you can fix it in a jiffy.

I did all my CS path on sublime. I figure: if i’m already coding more than 3 hours a day, I don’t need the extra stress on my muscles of typing redundant fluff.
If there is something I want to memorize the form of I either practice writing by hand or I take audio notes, but that’s a highly personal idiosyncratic preference.

That being said, you should know how to type all the main syntax properly, there may be times when you have to be on vim or nano and there won’t be any helping shortcuts on board.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for replying. My main problem is with variables. They get too long and I’m a clumsy typer lol. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you a lot. I do use PyCharm. My problem is with variable names on codecademy. I appreciate the help :smiley:

I feel you, @hazemsadek. Typing long variables can sometimes feel so tedious and struggling. Especially having to awkwardly put in the underscore, since I have to stretch to the outer bounds of the keyboard, ie stretch pinky to left & stretch pinky to right. Seems to no end. I’m just staying hopeful and wishing one day I’ll start to get used to it, and it won’t be so bad. Cheers!