Python API Problem

I’ve been trying to create a basic program that get the current value of BTC from the coindesk api but I keep getting this error, wondering if anyone could lend a hand.

#Program to get the current value of BTC via an API call.
import urllib.request as url
import json

base_url = "https://api.coindesk.com/v1/bpi/currentprice/x.json"
currency = ""

currency_input = input("What currency do you want to have? \neur (Euro) \ngbp (Great British Pound) \nusd (United States Dollar) \n:")
if currency_input == 'eur':
    print("Selected EUR as the currency")
    api_url = "https://api.coindesk.com/v1/bpi/currentprice/%s.json" % currency_input
if currency_input == 'gbp':
    print("Selected GBP as the currency")
    api_url = "https://api.coindesk.com/v1/bpi/currentprice/%s.json" % currency_input
if currency_input == 'usd':
    print("Selected USD as the currency")
else:
    print("Invalid Currency, please look at the selection list for further ideas!")

print("The current API URL that will be called is: \n%s" % api_url)

request = url.urlopen(url.Request(api_url, headers={'User-Agent' : "Mozilla/5.0"}))
data = request.read()
data = data.decode("utf-8")

print(data['bpi'])

The main problem is that I can get the information from the API however I’m not able to print the data out.

I want to print the current value with variable[‘bpi’].

Thanks in advance, bois.

// Now we have decoded data
// but what is the data type?
print(data['bpi'])

see comment in code.

(OP from actual account)

In the YouTube video I was following (python 2.4) they said that it’s a dictionary, isn’t it?

Assuming it is a dictionary shouldn’t that be the correct way to gather and print that select bit of data?

python has a built-in type() function, go use it to see what data type you are having. Although you could deduce it from the error as well

Ok, just called type on it and it returned string. If I plan on doing stuff with it later isn’t it good that it’s a string?

that explains the error, strings can only be accessed by index. Accessing by keys is for dictionaries. You would need to convert the string into a dictionary

So what would be the best datatype for converting API data? wouldn’t calling a dictionary the way above be the most effective?

Also I can’t find anywhere how to convert this data to a dictionary, how would I do this?

unless the API offers you the option to get a dictionary, you will have to make due with what you get and the conversion yourself.

i searched on google: python convert string to dictionary and instantly got good results

Yes, was going to edit but then you replied, I used <ast.literal_eval(data)> to convert it.

The new problem is that I’ve got it to print ‘bpi’ and it returns this:
{‘USD’: {‘code’: ‘USD’, ‘rate’: ‘9,332.9450’, ‘description’: ‘United States Dollar’, ‘rate_float’: 9332.945}}

I don’t know how to select code, description, rate or any other individual piece of data because I can’t seem to find a way to print a value within a value within a dictionary. Again, could you assist?

nothing changed, you will just need to another key to retrieve the next nested value

I don’t quite understand, how would I retrieve the description (for example) value?

you use the key like you always do: [key]

ok so I’m trying to select ‘code’, ‘description’ and ‘rate’ from the response but I don’t know how to and I can get my head around “use it like I usually do”.

I saw an example using a for loop so this is now my code at the bottom:
for item in data[‘bpi’]:
print(item[‘usd’])

but it’s returning this:
TypeError: string indices must be integers

Would this even work and why am I getting this error, I thought I converted it so it could be read like that.

just because you saw an example doesn’t mean you have to use a loop as well, why would you want to use a loop? You can just chain keys together:

dict[key1][key2]

Ah, I didn’t know it worked on levels like that. Thanks for the help.

well, the value is a dictionary, as such, we can again use a key to delve deeper

Hey, an unrelated problem (can’t find the section to help with this).

I’m trying to update my payment method (and I have updated it) but it still says last payment about a month ago and doesn’t give me the option to renew it, any suggestions?

Also actually I do have a problem but it’s with somthing else, here’s my code:

#Program to get the current value of BTC via an API call.
import urllib.request as url
import json
import ast

api_url = ''

currency_input = input("What currency do you want to have? \neur (Euro) \ngbp (Great British Pound) \nusd (United States Dollar) \n:")

def currency_selection(currency_input,api_url):
    base_url = "https://api.coindesk.com/v1/bpi/currentprice/x.json"
    currency_input.upper()

if currency_input == 'EUR':
        print("Selected EUR as the currency")
        api_url = (base_url + currency_input)
        return(api_url)

if currency_input == 'GBP':
        print("Selected GBP as the currency")
        return(api_url)

if currency_input == 'USD':
        print("Selected USD as the currency")
        return(api_url)

else:
        print("Invalid Currency!")
        exit()

print("The current API URL that will be called is: \n%s" % api_url)

def DataGet(api_url,data):
    request = url.urlopen(url.Request(api_url, headers={'User-Agent' : "Mozilla/5.0"}))
    data = request.read()
    data = ast.literal_eval(data)
    return data

print("The current price of BTC in %s (%s) is %s!" % (DataGet(data['bpi'][str(currency_selection(currency_input.upper()))]['code'],DataGet(data['bpi'][str(currency_selection(currency_input.upper()))]['rate'],DataGet(data['bpi'][str(currency_selection(currency_input.upper()))]['description'])))))

I’m looking for the codecademy section where it deals with functions (input & output), thanks.

Please see guidelines:

http://discuss.codecademy.com/guidelines

you made a question, i answered. I helped you a bit further, but if you have more questions, please make a new topic so someone else can help you. Continuing a topic with constant new questions is a violation of the guidelines

I actually had another problem that was on topic relating to the same program we worked on not an hour earlier. I feel that falls under “on-topic” otherwise I would have to open up 8 different threads for every individual error I have with the same program.

As for the comment relating to my codecademy subscription I don’t quite see the section on help with subscriptions so I don’t know what section I should put it into.

While c + ping me the guidelines might help if I’m spamming or other “unacceptable” behaviour I don’t feel that either of my above statements actually fall under that category. That being said I will start another topic for every error I have from now on, thanks for the help.