Python 3 Course Question

I was doing the python furniture store part of the course, when I encountered a problem. Where basically there was an error with the code provided below. The error will also be below the code.

Code:

#variables
lovely_loveseat_description = “Lovely Loveseat. Tufted polyester blend on wood. 32 inches high x 40 inches wide x 30 inches deep. Red or white.”

lovely_loveseat_price = “254.00”

stylish_settee_description = “Stylish Settee. Faux leather on birch. 29.50 inches high x 54.75 inches wide x 28 inches deep. Black.”

stylish_settee_price = “180.50”

luxurious_lamp_description = “Luxurious Lamp. Glass and iron. 36 inches tall. Brown with cream shade.”

luxurious_lamp_price = “52.15”

sales_tax = “.088”

customer_one_total = “0”

customer_one_itemization = “”

customer_one_total += lovely_loveseat_price

customer_one_total += luxurious_lamp_price

customer_one_itemization += lovely_loveseat_description

customer_one_itemization += luxurious_lamp_description

customer_one_tax = customer_one_total * sales_tax

customer_one_total += sales_tax

print(“Customer One Items:”)

Error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “script.py”, line 28, in
customer_one_tax = customer_one_total * sales_tax
TypeError: can’t multiply sequence by non-int of type ‘str’

I don’t get it because in the instructions it says that you have to " They’re ready to check out! Let’s begin by calculating sales tax. Create a variable called customer_one_tax and set it equal to customer_one_total times sales_tax ." What did I do wrong? Someone please help.

It seems you’ve created the luxurious_lamp_price variable (and indeed all of the cost variables) as strings:

luxurious_lamp_price = "52.15"
                       ^     ^
                        \   /
These quotation marks mean the value "52.15" is counted as a string.

Should they be strings?

Aside:
In Python, if you want to get a string to repeat itself, you can multiply it by an integer, and it will repeat that many times:

some_string = "hello"
print(some_string * 5)
#will print hellohellohellohellohello

You can only multiply the string by an integer, not by a float. This is where the error message you’re getting is coming from.

1 Like