Python 2 vs 3

Which one do you prefer and why?

• Python 2
  • Python 3

0 voters

3, only because that figure has a line of symmetry and 2 doesn’t…

I moved this to the #Codecademy-Community-Lounge:Corner-Bar category for you cos it’s not Codecademy related :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@turtwigpo why do you prefer Python 2?

I started learning python 2, and in my opinion, python 3 didn’t really change much. It wasn’t really an upgrade, it was more of a different path in my opinion. I stuck with python 2 because I was more accustomed to it.

@factoradic A quick question: is the python on code academy 2 or 3?

A quick question: is the python on code academy 2 or 3?

import sys
print(sys.version)
=> 2.7.3 (default, Dec 18 2014, 19:10:20) 
=> [GCC 4.6.3]

It is 2.7.3.

I started learning python 2, and in my opinion, python 3 didn’t really change much. It wasn’t really an upgrade, it was more of a different path in my opinion. I stuck with python 2 because I was more accustomed to it.

That’s ok. I was simply curious if there is any valid reason for using Python 2. I know only about one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok thanks :grin: :smile:

Python3 branched off to clean up a couple of things and is now years ahead. Without taking old code into account, there isn’t much to discuss. It’s not like with some proprietary products where devs create a new version to make them intentionally worse in order to make more money. There’s nothing to avoid. It’s an upgrade.

Existing projects may not wish to migrate until they have to, and some may depend on libraries that have not been migrated.

Avoid legacy tech when starting something new!

3 Likes