Pyg Latin

Pyg Latin
https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-2W5v7/1/2?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

Everytime I try to submit the code it gives me an error telling me to make sure I made a variable called 'word' when i clearly did make a variable named word

pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha() and word = original.lower() and first = "word"[0]:
    print original
else:
    print 'empty'

You cannot assign a variable when inside the condition of an if-statement. You should move the assignments to before the if-statement, then reevaluate.

word == is the problem

That would create an error that word is not defined.

Oops, try again. It looks like you printed the correct translation of "hien", but make sure to set new_word equal to the slice as well.

the instructions told me to put everything inside the if statement

in my code i do not see what you see. i don't see a word == just word =
where is it?

Inside the if-statement means:

if True:
   <Inside here>

I think that's a step forward but i still get an error like this
with this code
pyg = 'ay'

original = raw_input('Enter a word:')

if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha() .lower():
word = original.lower()
first = word[0]
print original
else:
print 'empty'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "python", line 5, in
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'lower'

while still getting the other error saying did i even make the variable word

nevermind i fied it i left .lower() in the if statement woops

original.isalpha() is a method that looks at a string (original) and checks to make sure that it only has letters in the string. (no numbers or symbols) It returns True or False accordingly.
.lower() takes a string and makes it all lowercase, however, since it comes after .isalpha(), it is not getting a string, but a boolean. which it cannot comprehend.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.