Putting a range into a function

# I do not get how to pass a range into a function or how the start, stop, step thing works. 

def my_function(x):
    for i in range(0, len(x)):
        x[i] = x[i] * 2
    return x

print my_function(range(3)) # Add your range between the parentheses!

# This is my code and I was just trying a bunch of numbers to attempt to learn by trial and error but I put in range(3) and for some reason that worked.

[0, 2, 4]
None

# This is what my code returned and it worked although the code was supposed to return [0, 1, 2]. Some help and explanation would be much appreciated.

When you type range(3) you are defining a list of integers between 0 and 2. i.e. range(3)=[0,1,2]
With the range(start, stop, step) you can define where you want your list to start, end and the size of the step between terms. If you don't include a value for the step, then the list assumes a default of 1. Here are some examples below:

range(0,7,2)=[0,2,4,6]

range(0,13,3)=[0,3,6,9,12]

You can also have non-integer values for the step:

range(0,4,0.5)=[0,0.5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5]

What your function is doing is the following:

1. Function takes an list x as an argument.
  2. Function loops over the length of the list and resets x[i] which is the ith term in x to a value of x[i]*2
  3. The function returns the new list in which now each term is double that of the one you initially passed.

I hope this helps you have an idea of the range you are supposed to pass to the function in order to return a list of [0,1,2]?

Thank you very much it makes sense now.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.