.push to property or getter?

A lesson in Classes, Inheritance V tells you to push a new certificate for a nurse to ‘certificates’.

Is it correct to push it to a getter rather than the actual property _certificates? If so, why?

Thanks for the clarification!

Lesson for reference: https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-javascript-classes/lessons/classes/exercises/inheritance-v

you can’t .push() inside the getter method. You need to create a method named addCertification to push to the array.

getter is only called when you read a property, so there is no way to pass a value to the getter for push. You could use a setter, but the exercise decides to use a method. Both are viable ways to achieve this

Edit: didn’t read your whole response. So why does .push to a getter work in my example below?

Sorry, should have clarified. It’s already in a function, which looks like this:

addCertification(newCertification) {
    this.certifications.push(newCertification);
  }

Why do we use this.certifications instead of this._certifications? As certifications is a getter, not a property.

PS - we seem to be in the same time zone, you answered my last question!

no, certifications is the property. the underscore is only a naming convention to indicate this property implements getter and/or setter.

this.certifications will call the getter method to get the value, once the value is retrieved (returned by the getter method), .push() is being called to add a value to the property.

the getters only job is to read the property value.

Ahhh so the underscore is ignored?

Edit: if so, that makes getters and setters make sense to me now!

yes, except when you use the property inside the getter or setter method, then you need to include the underscore (just a syntax thing)

in the last step:

console.log(nurseOlynyk.certifications)

you log the property to the console, again, the getter is called.

lets say we have this:

class Nurse extends HospitalEmployee {
  constructor(name, certifications) {
    super(name);
    this.certifications = certifications;
  } 
  addCertification(newCertification) {
    this.certifications.push(newCertification);
  }
}

this.certifications would still need to read/get the value before we can add to it, the getter method just gives you additional control.