Purifies but not completely!

Why does this code removes only some odd numbers?

Oops, try again. Your function fails on purify([4, 5, 5, 4]). It returns [4, 5, 4] when it should return [4, 4].

Thank you.
DD

I think remove might not be the best suitable solution to this problem, Why? remove does it fine when you would call:

purify([1,2,3,4])

but the moment you have a duplicate values (two times 1, two times 3, two times 5) it seems it only removes one, so either you figure out why this is, try a different approach (maybe define an list in the start of your function, and put even numbers into the list)?

Thank you stetim94.
I'm going to using a list and will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
DD

I tried creating a list and avoiding remove() but the results are equally disappointing:

Oops, try again. Your function fails on purify([1]). It returns [2, 4, 6, 8] when it should return [].

I completely fail to figure out why, when a list with just a 1 is passed to the function, a bunch of even numbers creep in. From where?!!!

Thank you,
DD

weird, that shouldn't happen. Can you copy your code the forum so i can run it?

Why do you have and i !=1? if i where 1, i % 2 == 0 would be false, 1 would net get append to the list

Thank you steim94.
I have been suspecting than either my browser introduces bugs or I have a corrupted program or something....! I looked in a few manuals and it should have worked as well with the remove() method, but strange numbers where cropping up although it wasn't so clear.

Following I print the code although I found out that if I declare the temporal list inside the function thenthere is no extra number creeping in and it works. as in the picture.

----temp_list = []
def purify(cleanses):
----for i in cleanses:
--------if i % 2 == 0 and i !=1:
------------temp_list.append(i)
--------return temp_list

Many thanks again. Since you and a few other guys there are giving invaluable advice, I've began to finish some of the exercises without having to look at hints or solutions!

This is weird, here is your code:

temp_list = []
def purify(cleanses):
    for i in cleanses:
        if i % 2 == 0 and i !=1:
            temp_list.append(i)
    return temp_list
print purify([4,5,5,4])

i only added a function call with a print statement so you could test different inputs, and it seems fine, it could be that your browser sends cached data, try a different browser. Nice, that is not only us, but also you getting better at coding, keep it going!

You are very generous.
A gentleman and a Scholar!

Did you manage to pass the exercise? Thank you :smile:

Yes stetim94, I did!