Pull it all together - returned 120 instead of 100

5. Pull it all together

no matter what I try it keep saying, "rental_car_cost(3) returned 120 instead of the correct value 100

def hotel_cost(nights):
    return (nights) * 140

def plane_ride_cost(city):
    if city == "Charlotte":
        return 183
    elif city == "Tampa":
        return 220
    elif city == "Pittsburgh":
        return 222
    elif city == "Los Angeles":
        return 475

def rental_car_cost(days):
    return (days) * 40
    if days >= 7:
        cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3:
        cost -= 80
    else:
        return cost    
def trip_cost(city, days):
    return hotel_cost(nights) + plane_ride_cost(city) + rental_car_cost(days)

HI this line

return hotel_cost(nights) + plane_ride_cost(city) + rental_car_cost(days)

you should put days instaed fo nights in teh hotel_cost()

ok. I just made that change, but I am still getting the exact same error message.

try to re-do the previous lesson because this part

return (days) * 40
    if days >= 7:
        cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3:
        cost -= 80
    else:
        return cost

isn't right

ok. let me try that.

can you give me a little more guidance because the step before said it is right and the current step said to add "below your existing code" so as far as I know I am following the instructions to the letter.

The discount value you use in your 'elif' block is quite high, especially for someone only renting a car for 3 days!

Also, maybe double check how many return statements you have inside your rental_car_cost function. Ideally, you will only need a single return statement, which should return the total cost minus any discounts that are applied.

In fact, I'm new to Python myself, but I believe the return statement is similar to most other languages, i.e. it is used to exit a function, with an optional returned value.

If you immediately return a value, at the start of your function, the remaining lines of code will not be executed, since you have 'broken out' of the function.

This might be a bit dense for new programmers, but this is a good resource:

http://www.ibiblio.org/g2swap/byteofpython/read/return.html

Read that first line carefully!

I changed the value for 3 days and it has no effect on the error message. Do you know that that is the problem or are you just throwing out a suggestion?

also - it says the code is correct in the previous exercise and then it says add to "your existing code." It doesn't say to change (but even if I do change it - trying both to increase and decrease it - it still does not work.)

Can you tell me what's not right because I have been working on it for hours with no luck - and step 4 said it is correct.

can you post your new code?

def hotel_cost(nights):
return (nights) * 140
if city == "Charlotte":
return 183
elif city == "Tampa":
return 220
return 222
return 475
return (days) * 40
if days >= 7:
cost -= 50
elif days >= 3:
cost -= 20
rental_car_cost()
return cost
return hotel_cost(days) + plane_ride_cost(city) + rental_car_cost(days)

you previously said there was a problem with the following part of my code

return (days) * 40
if days >= 7:
cost -= 50
elif days >= 3:
cost -= 80
else:
return cost

but in the previous exercise the program said I had it correct. In the current exercise it tells me not to change anything, but to add to the code so I don't see where it is wrong. (I also tried increasing and decreasing all kinds of numbers, but i kept getting the exact same error message.)

they aske you ..
Below your existing code, define a function called rental_car_cost with an argument called days.

then they says
Every day you rent the car costs $40. (so for one day you will pay $40) and if you take the car for 7 or more day you get a reduction of $50 and if... for 3 or more days ...of $20 .
Well since we will remove the 20 and 50 $ to the rent_car it's better if we create a variable and save the operation

days * 40

like that

rent_car = days * 40

you just need to add the if , elif and else statement like you already did.. but you should remove the 20 and 50 to the rental_car variable

Remove the 20 and the 50? ... ok. I just completely removed the 20 and 50 and I still get the same error message.

post your new code please can you formate it

I'm going to try and prevent you guys from going too deep in this direction...

Your problem is this line:

return (days) * 40

Please read my original comment, in its entirety, and have another look at your code. Also, feel free to follow the link, it links to a valuable resource, which might help explain why I said to be careful of how many return statements you have, since you only need one.

Keep up the spirit :wink: you'll get it soon

def hotel_cost(nights):
return (nights) * 140
if city == "Charlotte":
return 183
elif city == "Tampa":
return 220
return 222
return 475
return days * 40
if days >= 7:
return days - 70
elif days >= 3 and days < 7:
return days - 20
return hotel_cost(days) + plane_ride_cost(city) + rental_car_cost(days)

from you first post

return (days) * 40
    if days >= 7:
        cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3:
        cost -= 20
    else:

Remove the else statement (if you look at the introduciton of the lesson you will see an example of the code how the code could be..) and you will see that there isn't a else statement so you should remove it

return (days) * 40
    if days >= 7:
        cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3:
        cost -= 20

and it's not finish .. you are removing (the number that you should remove are 20 and 50 ) it from a variable you never define which is cost so this line

return (days) * 40

instead of return you should save days * 40 in a variable named cost like that

cost = days * 40

Since it's function you should return something (back to the introduction function part.. the return statement is indent like the if and elif statement ) so you just need to add this line

retrun cost #in cost you save days * 40 so number of day is 1 it will return cost which is equal to 40

HOpe that could help you

"Spoiler Alert"
I hope you read what I wrote
Hint

cost = days * 40
    if days >= 7:
        cost -= 50
    elif days >= 3:
        cost -= 20
    return cost

I figured it out. I am not quite sure what greyedfox was getting at, but that was not the issue. Thank you all for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.