Progress % has gone backwards?

So this is pretty trivial, but I’m doing the full-stack engineer pathway, and every night I note my progress as I find it motivating to track over time.

Anyway I left it yesterday on 48% and then I did a few more modules/exercises today, and now it says 43%?

I checked the syllabus and it hasn’t jumped backwards or anything. Weird!

2 Likes

On occasion courses are updated with new topics which can knock back the total % complete. I think there has been some changes to the full-stack path today or something (discord suggests a few others noticed a completion % change) though I can’t find it announced officially anywhere. There’s a roadmap somewhere but it’s hit and miss what actually gets mentioned. I’d assume it was an official change though.

We pushed out a bug fix today where we weren’t counting articles/videos/informationals in the percentage completed calculation properly. We were mainly focused on the 100% article-based courses like Android – these would stay <5% right to the end, wasn’t great! Turns out for the career paths in particular that articles, videos, etc. are really common! Thus it’s more a case of the calculation being corrected than a content change.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we didn’t think it would have such a big impact on learners’ progress %, some users were just unlucky in this respect.

TL;DR

Edit: thanks @tgrtim for this summary:

• The course itself has not changed
  • You have not lost actual progress in the course
  • The progress % is a calculated value only
  • Previously, articles and videos contributed very little to the progress %.
  • This update makes articles and videos contribute a LOT more to the %
  • This recalculation means many users are shown a lower % complete value
14 Likes

So your team will fix it, right? Im in full-stack course and have the same problem

2 Likes

I think it is already fixed. Hence our % went back a little bit.

3 Likes

Strange because the Full Stack Path wasn’t the only course that went back by quite a bit of a percentage. Some other smaller courses like Command Line Intro and Python Chatbots went back by 3 to 12%. Did all of them somehow got affected just because of the articles correction?

Ah, that is good news. It was a little odd that 2-3 minutes reading an article boosted completion by such a large amount. Cheers.

Yep, exactly. Some courses are very article heavy and the likes of Android for example were 100% article so the calculations were way off.

Correct.

In the backend engineer path my progress was 23% yesterday and is 16% today

Ahhh so my percentage as it is now is the correct percentage - what it should have been all along?

I know the bug was fixed but I wasn’t mentally prepared for it.
I lost like 8% from my front end engineering progress.
What a shocker.

5 Likes

At least, we’re moving. Either backwards or forward. I’d be better a stoic about my progress than stress over the bug. :joy:

1 Like

I have a little request if possible.

I’ve completed Git, JavaScript course separately. And when I switch to Full-Course, it’s not synchronising my progress.

Is it possible I can add my other couse progress which is the exact course in the Full-Stack course, only not separate?

We’ll be glad for that. I think everybody has the same issue and had to start over again JS course on Full-Stack. Thank you for the most valuable platform and the exciting content on the internet ever. Sorry for the out of topic question.

1 Like

thanks for the heads-up… yeah, I was at 20%! I love you, Codecademy! I’d like to pay a year’s membership to save 50%. How do I do that?

I have had the same problem too. The full stack course was completed more than 60% went back to 49% working back on it now.

I was very surprised when I lost like 8% in my full-stack course lol! Thanks for the update.

Hello, Mine is still wrong, (full-stack engineer) Should I do something? or is there still bug? Thanks

Hello,
same here …
fell back from 44 to 37 …
cant find the additions - they may occur in some later chapters, i guess?
I understand when modules are renewed and for more content the progress is adjusted - also has to be.

Frustrating anyway, the full-stack course is quite a journey and every percentage point is motivating

If you haven’t caught it (and @balint1120) the dev comment above covers it-

My interpretation is this-

• The course itself has not changed
  • You have not lost actual progress in the course
  • The progress % is a calculated value only
  • Previously, articles and videos contributed very little to the progress %.
  • This update makes articles and videos contribute a LOT more to the %
  • This recalculation means many users are shown a lower % complete value
2 Likes

Thanks for this!

this is so … i dont even wanna start … glad somehow that they fix “something”

fair enough, could be worse

thx

1 Like