Program freezes, infinite loop?

I’m on the Loops Javascript chapter, #5 (Nested For Loops), instruction #4. Here’s the instruction:

You logged all of your places!

Inside of the existing for loop’s block, below the console.log() statement, write another for loop that loops over friendPlaces. This time, rather than using the myPlacesIndex as the variable name, use friendPlacesIndex. Doing so will prevent us from overwriting any variables. Log each of your friend’s places to the console.

Here’s my code:

let myPlaces = [‘one’, ‘two’, ‘three’];
let friendPlaces = [‘two’, ‘five’, ‘eight’];
for (let myPlacesIndex = 0; myPlacesIndex < myPlaces.length; myPlacesIndex++) {
console.log(myPlaces[myPlacesIndex]);
for (let friendPlacesIndex = 0; friendPlacesIndex < friendPlaces.length; myPlacesIndex++) {
console.log(friendPlaces[friendPlacesIndex]);
}
}

The syntax is exactly as they have instructed, it follows the hint. I’ve tried different browsers, reloading, logging out, and it still hangs when I run the program. One time it actually printed to the console the expected output an infinite number of times, so I guess it’s an infinite loop but I don’t know why that’s what it’s doing or how to fix it. It’s properly indented although it doesn’t show up that way posted here.

Anything look askew with the above?

Ah, ok, now I see it. I’ve trained my eyes to be so focused on syntax that they missed that. Thanks.

Aside

One can accept that the author is self-documenting the code for the learner’s benefit. However, how clear a path it takes is debatable, IMHO.

Code design might more easily evolve from purpose, rather than identity, and the above is a good example to demonstrate this.

We have two arrays, let’s call them p and q that may or may not contain similar entries. Our task is to find any that exist. That’s the purpose of any function we write. I use small variables at this stage so they don’t clutter the canvas.

In loop constructs, it also makes little sense to me to use large variables when simple iterator variables are clearly understandable and do the job. Verbosity at this stage is overkill. A comment or two can take their place.

const p = ['Banff', 'Jasper', 'Lake Louise', 'Field', 'McBride'];
const q = ['Lake Louise', 'Waterton Lakes', 'Field', 'Fernie'];

We’ve settled upon a nested loop construct to compare and extract the matching data points (array elements) and can adopt the customary, i and j to fill the role of indexes.

for (let i = 0, j; i < p.length; i++) {    // j is block scoped to i
    for (j = 0; j < q.length; j++) {
        console.log(p[i] === q[j] ? p[i] : '\t');
    }
}

Rather than mess around in your workspace, let’s take this to Chrome’s JS console and input it.

>  const p = ['Banff', 'Jasper', 'Lake Louise', 'Field', 'McBride'];
<- undefined
>  const q = ['Lake Louise', 'Waterton Lakes', 'Field', 'Fernie'];
<- undefined
>  for (let i = 0, j; i < p.length; i++) {
     for (j = 0; j < q.length; j++) {
        console.log(p[i] === q[j] ? p[i] : '\t');
     }
   }
   Lake Louise
   Field
<- undefined

The output matches our expectations. Now if we wish to create slightly more verbosity for the reader, a little replacement editing and we’re done. I find a simple approach best for testing and proving. You, too, will find your comfort zone, and a level of self-documentation that meets your team’s expected standards.

Simple is best. Better, in my view, to have simple variables and a comment table that describes them, than to have verbose self-describing variables that go over the top.

/*  IDENTITY TABLE
let p == myPlaces
let q == friendPlaces
let i == myPlacesIndex
let j == friendPlacesIndex
*/

This is not to dis the instruction or the author’s approach. Far from it; but rather it is a way to see the flow of the current through a simpler lens. Granted, it is also a model to follow, in my view, but again that’s opinion.

The numbers printed in the output are the number of tab characters sent to the console. First eight, then a hit on ‘Lake Louise’, then five and another hit on ‘Field’, then five more and we’re exhausted.

Twenty object combinations, eighteen negatives and two hits.

Remember, this is modeling code, not solution, but it gives us the results we want, and then some.

Now consider something that is completely off the grid… Sets.

>  u = new Set(p);
>  v = new Set(q);
>  let intersection = new Set([...u].filter(x => v.has(x)));
<- undefined
>  intersection
<- > Set(2) {"Lake Louise", "Field"}

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.