Problems with miniconda3

Hello,

I just installed miniconda3 (for Windows) following the instructions from

https://www.codecademy.com/articles/install-python3

but the commands “conda list” or “conda install jupyter” do not work in the Command Prompt (or Git Bash). What do I need to do? I’ve read the other topics describing the same problem but the suggestions did not solve my problem.

Please help

Okay I am very confused with the different applications that basically run a terminal. With Miniconda I apparently also installed an application called “Anaconda Prompt (miniconda3)” which when opened looks like the normal command prompt.

When I type in the conda commands in this environment they do work. But am I supposed to use this command prompt from now one? Why don’t the commands work with the standard command promt as it is described in the guide for installing Miniconda that they should work there?

@olimasta2255712613, welcome to the forums!

If Anaconda Prompt is installed on your computer, that is the easiest way to interact with conda. You can make conda work with your regular command prompt, but it’s not worth the hassle when you already have it working with Anaconda Prompt.

Thank you for the quick response! So The Anaconda Prompt works just like the normal command prompt? For what occasions is it useful to use other command terminal applications like Git Bash because I learned the most common commands in the Command Line course? Is Git Bash something I will use while coding with Python in the future?

Yes it does, with the added ability to interact with conda.

Git Bash isn’t really necessary, but I tend to use it for Git and Github stuff on Windows. I just like the way it displays Git-related files and actions in different colors by default. I do occasionally use Git from Anaconda Prompt, but I just feel like the user experience is a little better from Git Bash.

The main draw of using Git Bash over Command Prompt is that you are using Bash. The commands are different and it is generally easier to use and more powerful than Command Prompt. Also, if you switch between operating systems like I do, knowing how to use the Bash command line is important since Windows is the only OS that uses Cmd. If you go back and forth between Windows and Mac or Linux, using Git Bash for your main Windows terminal means uniformity across platforms.

As I mentioned, on Windows I mostly use it for Git and Github-related actions. Outside of that, I stick to Anaconda Prompt for my Python work because I really enjoy using conda for installations and virtual environments and I didn’t feel like setting up conda in my Git Bash. It’s really all about preference. However, it can’t hurt to at least be familiar with Bash since there are very few Python developers that program exclusively on Windows.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed answer! This makes it a lot clearer for me!