Problem with median

Hi I am facing a problem with media as I can't get the median when the list has an odd length so please help

def median(numbers):
    numbers.sort
    length = len(numbers)
    if length % 2 == 0:
        r = length / 2
        answer = (r + 1) / 2
        return answer
    elif lenght % 2 != 0 :

here:

numbers.sort

sort() is a method call, where are the parentheses?

here:

elif lenght % 2 != 0:

what are you going to do when list has uneven/odd length?

Thanks a lot. Actually I want you to tell me what to do after the elif.

you need to get the middle index and then retrieve the middle value using the middle index and return it

as for even lists, lets look at your code:

r = length / 2
        answer = (r + 1) / 2

r is only a list index, not a list value. How can we get from list indexes to list values?

Please a bit of more help about how to do that.Thanks.

lets say we have this list:

[4,4,5,5]

the indexes are: 0, 1, 2, 3. We can use the length to calculate the middle two indexes (1 and 2) using the length of list, how do we get from index 1 and 2 to the values (4 and 5)?

Accessing list by index is something you should know, if not, find in docs/earlier exercise

I think like this print list_name[index number]

it is indeed, now you will need to implement this into your median program given the median value are list values not list indexes

Alright now this is another try that has failed I think I did what we discussed so please help and thanks.

the function should return numbers, not ilst. So why you would do lst.append() and not just return answer is a mystery to me.

Returning the answer directly might work with the odd case but with the other it won't I have modified it but still not working.

def median(numbers):
    lst = []
    numbers.sort()
    length = len(numbers)
    if length % 2 == 0:
        r = length / 2
        new = numbers[r]
        for n in range(new,new+2):
            total += n
            new_tot = total / 2
        lst.append(new_tot)

elif length % 2 != 0 :
        n = length / 2
        answer = numbers[n]
        #lst.append(answer)
    return answer

for even lists you obviously should return new_tot

I told you what is expected of your function, and one example. You still have to do the thinking bit, oh, i need to return integer, so i will also need to change my part for even lists.

We are here to help you, not provide you with the solution.

Helping only works if you keep thinking :wink:

A post was split to a new topic: Median

Alright another edit and still not working.

def median(numbers):
    lst = []
    numbers.sort()
    answer = 0
    length = len(numbers)
    if length % 2 == 0:
        r = length / 2
        value = numbers[r]
        nr = r + 1
        val = numbers[nr]
        answ = (value + val) / 2
        return answ

elif length % 2 != 0 :
        n = length / 2
        answer = numbers[n]
        #lst.append(answer)
    return answer

here:

r = length / 2
        value = numbers[r]
        nr = r + 1

if the list has a length of four (indexes are: 0, 1, 2, 3) according to your code the middle two indexes are index 2 (r) and index 3 (nr). Please explain

here:

answ = (value + val) / 2

if the division involves only integers, python will give you a integer as result (if needs be, the number is rounded down to the nearest integer), but you want a float, so the division should involve a float

What is a float ? What does it mean ?

You are kidding right? At this point in the course i assume you are familiar with basic types (integer, boolean, float, string, list, dictionary) in python

I am sorry but I am not kidding is there another exercise that explains floating ?

Plenty of exercises you have done so far, and i am sure you can find documentation on float data type with a little googling

Its impressive in a certain way you got this far in the course without understanding fundamental things about python

The exercise said that if the length is an even the we get the sum of the 2 indexes in the middle and divide it by 2
and this is the median and this what I wanted to do but it seems that I failed
by the way I think I have remembered what float is and what it does. But I still fail to use or even see how it is useful in here.