Problem with Introduction to HTML exercise 8/16

Hello,

I am currently experiencing a problem with Introduction to HTML exercise 8/16.

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-html/lessons/intro-to-html/exercises/text-content-tags

The exact error from the bottom of the page is:

" Did you add the given text inside your <p></p> tag?"

In the section of the exercise I am currently trying to do it asks that I put and opening <p> and closing </p> with a paragraph of text between the two.

The problem I am having is that what I have put in is exactly what is shown as needed to comlpete the section of the exercise I am on, in this case:

Below the <h2> element that says About Brown Bears , add <p> opening and closing tags, and inside of the tags put the following text:

“The brown bear (Ursus arctos) is native to parts of northern Eurasia and North America. Its conservation status is currently Least Concern. There are many subspecies within the brown bear species, including the Atlas bear and the Himalayan brown bear.”

Remember to always add two spaces of indentation when you nest elements inside of <div> s for better readability.

The code I have entered is as follows:

<body>
  <h1>The Brown Bear</h1>
  <div id="introduction">
    <h2>About Brown Bears</h2>
      <p>The brown bear (Ursus arctos) is native to parts of northern Eurasia and North America. Its conservation status is currently Least Concern. There are many subspecies within the brown bear species, including the Atlas bear and the Himalayan brown bear.</p>
    <h3>Species</h3>
    <h3>Features</h3>
  </div>
  <div id="habitat">
    <h2>Habitat</h2>
    <h3>Countries with Large Brown Bear Populations</h3>
    <h3>Countries with Small Brown Bear Populations</h3>
  </div>
  <div id="media">
    <h2>Media</h2>
  </div>
</body>

And the example code from the solution is as follows:

<body>
  <h1>The Brown Bear</h1>
  <div id="introduction">
    <h2>About Brown Bears</h2>
    <p>The brown bear (Ursus arctos) is native to parts of northern Eurasia and North America. Its conservation status is currently Least Concern. There are many subspecies within the brown bear species, including the Atlas bear and the Himalayan brown bear.</p>
    <h3>Species</h3>
    <h3>Features</h3>
    <p>Brown bears are not always completely brown. Some can be reddish or yellowish. They have very large, curved claws and huge paws. Male brown bears are often 30% larger than female brown bears. They can range from 5 feet to 9 feet from head to toe.</p>
  </div>
  <div id="habitat">
    <h2>Habitat</h2>
    <h3>Countries with Large Brown Bear Populations</h3>
    <h3>Countries with Small Brown Bear Populations</h3>
    <p>Some countries with smaller brown bear populations include Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, China, Finland, France, Greece, India, Japan, Nepal, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.</p>
  </div>
  <div id="media">
    <h2>Media</h2>
  </div>
</body>

This shows no errors on the solution section in what I am trying to do here and I am not really sure why the page wont let me proceed to the next step in the exercise.

Please could someone take a look and help me understand why I cant proceed and what I am doing wrong as I really dont understand.

Thank you for taking the time to read this I really appreciate it.

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the code you’ve written. It’s possible that Codecademy’s learning environment doesn’t like that fact you’ve indented the <p> tags. If that’s the case, there’s nothing wrong with what you’ve done; it’s just that the way CC checks if code is correct or not can be very picky.

1 Like

Hello codeneutrino,

I tried to do what you asked and for some reason the error still keeps popping up?

I even tried fully removing the indentations before the <p> tags so it was right at the starting end of the line but I am still getting the error.

I have also tried to reset the exercise and redo it and I still get the error so I am not really sure how I am supposed to proceed and I dont want to use the “replace with solution” button because it might fill in the rest of the examples without me actually doing the work which is contrary to trying to learn it in the first place.

Thank you for taking the time to respond though it is much appreciated.

Is there any way to report this to CC themselves as if theres nothing wrong with my work then the problem must be on their end no?

You can use the report a bug function of CC (under the get unstuck tab, top right). As for how to progress, I’d suggest clicking “get solution,” and then comparing their solution code to yours. You can then move on by changing your code with theirs, which’ll mark that exercise as complete.

Hi,

Im one page behind this on expertise 7/16. I’m not sure why but I’m unable to use “<” function on the keyboard while trying to type out my code. Instead a red box appears in the space. Can anyone advise?

Hello again,

Sorry for the late update here I had a very busy day yesterday and didnt have time to do much of anything.

I have today signed back in to the CC website and resumed my learning and just for posterity tried once more to complete the exercise after I put my report in (I actually wish I’d have tried BEFORE putting in the report as now it may be a pointless endevour).

For some reason today IT WORKS!

I have now managed to complete the section of the exercise that wasnt working for me before.

I’m not sure if signing out and back in had any effect or if it has simply been fixed since then but I wanted to come back and let everybody know so I dont waste anybodies time having them write further replies to this post.

All I can say to anybody having similar issues is sign out and back in again and give it another try and see if that helps.

Thank you again to codeneutrino for trying to help me resolve this, again it is much appreciated.

If in the meantime CC do manage to reproduce the error and get back to me I will put one more update to let everybody know what they say, although I dont think it will be necessary as the problem seems to have worked itself out in the end.

UPDATE: And… now the error is back further down the page on the same exercise now on the third section

1 Like