elif x > 2:
         for n in range(2, x):
            if x%n == 0:
                return False
            else:
                return True
    elif x == 1 or x == 0 or x < 0:
        return False

This is my code for the problem. I am having problems understanding why it gives False instead of true when the input is . Could someone please explain where I have an error in my logic

it's your range limits.

for n in range(2,x):

by allowing the top of your range to continue to x, the function is able to divide x by itself resulting in no remainder.

Try changing the range function to:

for n in range(2, x-1):

Let me know if that helps at all!

From my understanding, when using range, the first value is inclusive, and then the second is exclusive.
Anyways, I was able to solve the challenge by taking out the else that was nested inside the for loop, and moved it back so it was paired with the for loop.

You have the correct understanding of range(). It returns a list that does not include x. Good that you were able to discover the error in your code (the else statement).

elif x == 1 or x == 0 or x < 0:
      return False

There is enough information and testing without the need of the last test. That line could just be,

return False

I didn't know the last value was exclusive. Though that does explain why some of my earlier functions didn't pan out!

I think the problem is in your else statement. check the indentation. i think the else should belong to the for, not to the if. if you use it the way you did, the first n of your range that is no divisor of x will cause the else to return True.

Of the above, this is all you need:

elif x > 2:
        for ...
            if x % n == 0:
                return False
        return True

return False