Practice makes perfect: debugging factorial code

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/practice-makes-perfect/exercises/factorial

Hi everyone!

I’m new to this forum, but very happy I found it! I’m also new to coding, so I still have much to learn. :slight_smile:

I was trying to solve the factorial problem of the loops module ‘Practice makes perfect’, but didn’t get the result I wanted. Of course, I have seen the solution by now, but I’d like to understand why my code doesn’t work, so I don’t make mistakes like these in the future! Anyone that could help me? :slight_smile:

def factorial(x): 
  total = 1 
  for number in range (1, x+1): 
    total *= number 
    return total 
print factorial(6)

Thanks in advance!

Hello @method0049271172, welcome to the forums! The return being inside the loop as it is means that the function (and loop) will end after only one iteration. That means the first value of total will be returned. So, if you have factorial(6), you will get:

total *= 1
return total#(1)
1 Like

Looks like you are pretty close to the solution.

The problem seems to be this line:

return total 

return can be taken pretty literal, it literally returns/hands back data to the caller/function call. Which signals that the function is done executing

given the return keyword is reached in the first iteration of your loop, your loop only makes a single iteration. return will simple “break free” of the loop, given the function needs to end

kind of like making a test/assignment, handing the test/assignment in (return) doesn’t mean all the questions are answered (not all loop iterations are made)

2 Likes

So simple! Thank you so much for the quick reply!

1 Like