Practice Makes Perfect 3/15: is int. Is this code valid or cheating?

Hello!

I am at https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/practice-makes-perfect/exercises/isint?action=lesson_resume

I have passed the exercise already, but I have seen so many solutions to it in the forum that I´d like to know whether my code is working or just cheating the system, but also if it is the right approach to solving this type of problems or I am just not getting what Python is about. My code is as follows:

def is_int(x):
  if abs(int(x)) - abs(float(x)) == 0:
    return True
  else:
    return False

Is my code worse than, say, the following one? (from here, which I like a lot)

def is_int(x):
    y = int(x)
    if (x-y) == 0:
        return True
    else:
        return False

Also, I have seen people using modulo, as in

def is_int(x):
    return x % 1 == 0

Which I assume is a “better” way, as it is less lines and therefore seems more efficient. Nevertheless, I don´t get how it works here: why the if/else True/False statements are not needed when modulo is used?

Sorry for a rather dull question: I am trying to learn what sort of coding is considered “the right way”, besides it plainly working or not.

Thanks a lot for your patience!

In truth, the modulo has nothing to do with it. It’s the boolean expression that is being returned. Expressions are evaluated immediately so either True or False are returned.

return x - int(x) == 0

although as I recall, int() is off the table.

We can alsp return a logical expression …

return not x % 1

In the above, not converts the expression that follows it to a boolean and then negates it (toggles).

not 1.1 % 1  ->  not 0.1  ->  not True   =>  False

not 3 % 1    ->  not 0    ->  not False  =>  True

Hello!

Thanks for the answer! However, you got me a little lost with the following:

Shouldn´t it be

if x - int(x) == 0:
  return True
else:
  return False

?

Otherwise, I do not really understand why the “==0” in the return expression, if the result of the operation return x - int(x) might not be 0.

The not option I get it.

If you could give me any opinion on the code I used, to see if it´s too cumbersome for the task or not, that would also be great :slight_smile:

Thanks in any case!

When the expression yields a boolean, we don’t need an if statement, just a return.

>>> x = 1.23
>>> x - int(x) == 0    # boolean expression
False
>>> x = 3
>>> x - int(x) == 0
True
>>> 

Got it now!

Thanks a lot!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.