Portfolio, where do I begin?

Hi everyone,

So here’s my problem, I’ve just completed a 28 hour web development crash course and now i’m feeling pretty good about my HTML, CSS & Javascript skills, and so-so about my knowledge of PHP, Bootstrap and MySQL. Everywhere I look next tells me to get started building my first projects for my portfolio, but what exactly does that mean? Do I just make up a fictional coffee house and create a website for it, or am I supposed to go out there and find a coffee house who needs help with their website?

Perhaps this sounds a little naive for anyone past this hurdle, but I’m feeling a little overwhelmed at the choices ahead for my next step and i’d love some advice. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Rory

well, you could contribute to open source projects for non profits organisations, for example here:

or you could install XAMPP on your computer to build a website (front-end and back-end) of your choice, there are several options.

4 Likes

Hey Rory,
You should make a github account, make small projects and upload them there. Check this page to learn how to make repositories: https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

2 Likes