Politics

Are there viable, or even plausible metrics that can be derived from such a subjective data sample? One can never conclude that a supporter of one party is more [pronoun] than a supporter for the other. Is not religiosity supposed to cross all the boundaries and enter all the living rooms of the constituents?

Where did polemics enter the picture? Don’t answer, it’s a rhetorical question. From day one, is the answer. That would be 75,000 years ago, or more. Pity we don’t have the statistics from that bygone age, but no doubt they had their own, ergo the source of political control which may or may not have been shored up by one theological device or another. History leans on, ‘may’. The polemics started with the discussion of monotheism or polytheism, and sprang on from that like fireworks. The Tower of Babel was created as everyone had their own ideas and the cat was in with the pigeons.

Those folks knew about Number, and how to compute all manner of statistics, what concerned them. It was the people who knew this, and kept it secret for centuries that were the underpins of the theocratic rulers of their day. Thus sprang up huge cities with amazing infrastructure that could support a million or more human inhabitants. We didn’t invent the city in our time or even remotely resembling anything since 400 BCE. The real cities were millennia before them. We cannot even begin to imagine what politics would have existed in that time and place.

All that aside, there is a lot of point source noise that can immediately interfere with data collection if subjectivity is allowed to enter the field. There are ways to make subjective data appear somewhat empirical, though it would take some time to wrap one’s head around it.

Now on to empirical data collection… If a job application form asked me about my religious affiliation I would tear it up, get up and walk out.

The Census data is our best source for reliable or at least plausible metrics of a given population, but now that is split into regions, pockets, diasporas, &c., especially when ethnicity is thrown in. We need a historical census aggregated from a century or more to come close to identifying those pockets. Over time we might see a decay of trends which would point to a causal effect. Down the rabbit hole, and we haven’t even begun.

1 Like

Why not?

Opinion on preferred gender questions then?

1 Like

The only thing I want an employer to be asking me is am I fit for the job.

2 Likes

Because it is actually an adjective. That aside, do you mean to say the party I support determines my [adjective] acceptability?

Good chance of it. A parties views usually will support or deny a religious view. So your party of choice and religious would probably have some corelation. Not for certain, but there are outliers in any statistic right?

I’d guess it would have a greater impact on your other choices in life than your skin color at least. In any case I don’t see why it should be kept out of the lessons, if the rest of these representation things aren’t. I’d rather see something I chose to be a part of represented, than just something I’m stuck with. Assuming the data courses defense is still representation.

That is a very subjective viewpoint and based on a lot of assumptions.
Speaking from a data perspective, is there any data to back up that hypothesis? You could certainly randomly sample a population and then run some statistical significance tests to see if there are correlations (not causation b/c that’s more difficult, but not impossible to prove) between one’s religion & political party affiliation. I know that there are both quantitative and qualitative studies out there about this very topic and not just in journals of sociology or political science because this is a well documented subject.

One of the most important characteristics of being a data scientist or data analyst is being objective and not subjective. Eliminating bias. A difficult task, but it can be done. There’s a ton of writing about machine learning bias out there. Look at what happened at Google, FB, etc. For example, ProPublica has an entire library of studies & articles about Machine bias.

However, all of this has strayed (drastically) from the original post/observation/complaint and I think it’s wise to end this topic sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

How is that subjective? You do a sample of the population and find out what religions vote for who and why?

Is there any to say there’s not? That’s not the point anyway. If the data shows there’s no corelation, that great, we learned something based on data.

Haven’t gone through this entire thing but here you go, make of it what you wish. Either way the data shows, there’s still data.
https://www.state.gov/briefings-foreign-press-centers/election-2022- religious-beliefs and-political-participation

No kidding. We went from CC’s data being biased in the subjects it covers, to a defense on what that data would show?

To my knowledge nothing’s been said here to breach the ToS, implying ending this is on the basis of personal opinion. Ending the topic only shows a refusal to look at what’s been brought forward. If it had been brought forward that they’d like to see more data on LGBT or black people, should we also drop that subject? Every place I look screams what they believe at me, but when someone speaks up like this, the desire is to shut it down? Why is this less valid?

In the grand scheme of things, we make no progress when we lock ourselves into one view, and refuse to listen to others. In the current scheme of things, it’s rather hypocritical, to expect one side to constantly see one view, while they are expected to keep silent about their own.

That’s not even ranting politically, that’s just looking at Codecademy. All that empty (I predicted they’d screw it all as soon as the crowd died down) BLM pizazz I was expected to go with, but this topic should be closed.

Be my guest… I’ll return to silence.

No, we went from the claim that projects are potentially biased to where we are now. And, b/c no one from CC has chimed in on this or how curriculum projects are designed, I can only offer my best guess as I had originally posted in trying to answer the question.

I am not refusing to look at what is presented, or, ‘locking myself into one view’, nor am I trying to shut anything down. That again is your assumption. I’ve read every comment on this thread. I’ve not responded for other reasons. But mostly, b/c this has morphed into something that really has become an accusatory argument and political. I don’t want to be a part of that. I also don’t think it belongs here on the forums. I was trying to keep the topic data & code related, but it’s strayed from that.

Of everything in this entire thread, this is the point I agree with the most. We really are free to choose to be offended, or happy, or sad, or whatever. We can choose to take offense at something we don’t agree with, or we can choose to pay it no mind. We could also choose to simply acknowledge that whatever it is exists, disagree with it, even try to change it all without being personally offended by it. The idea that anyone has the right to not be offended is true I suppose with the caveat that it’s their own choice whether or not to violate that right. To expect anyone else to be responsible for one’s own state of being offended or not is absurd IMO.

This is my first, and will be my last and only post in this topic.

Happy Coding, everyone!

1 Like

And if the onus lies w/in the person who is being offended, then this entire thread/topic is null and void…

Whatever one’s “truth” is, they have to recognize that it’s influenced by socialization–be that from other individuals–family, friends, teachers, and institutions–school, media, church, etc. When someone takes offense to what another has done or said, I think it’s an opportunity for the person (or institution) who has been offending to take a step back, reflect, and take responsibility for their words and actions. From that, change can happen and potential growth.

1 Like

Hey, y’all,

Love the fact that everyone feels comfortable sharing their opinions and a bit about themselves here. (@akmauro - so cool you’re a tech engineer at a biotech company!) Our members learn not only from courses on Codecademy but also in our community spaces. And we, the Community team, have learned a lot and appreciate the diverse points of view via this thread.

With that said, the temperature feels a bit hotter here. :fire: So a few things:

- Community Guidelines: Please keep in mind that we want people of all backgrounds and viewpoints to feel welcomed here. We’re all here to support each other’s coding journeys. It doesn’t hurt to take a refresher on our Community Guidelines, so we can continue to be civil and respect one another.

- Consider DMs: Feel free to message each other if you feel it is no longer relevant for everyone. :slight_smile:

- Heads-Up: Even though we love the passion, know that if we see things getting out of hand, we’ll have to close this post.

Again, we’re all here to learn from each other. Thanks for reading.
Jonathan

4 Likes

But, also be mindful that not everyone wants unsolicited DMs.

So, is there any insight as to how projects are decided/created? Any thoughts from curriculum developers from the DA or DS courses?

4 Likes
1 Like

I did not start this post to create dissent. Everyone talks about having an open mind. But, I think we should be more closed-minded when it comes to immorality. I will not get into all of that. I have my opinion, you all have yours. I am grateful to hear all of you. However, when it comes to education, all institutions must be neutral, otherwise, we have dissent. Someone will always be offended by something another person says. There is no way around it. At the same time, we all need to grow some bark, get over it and move on. Life is too short to be mad all the time. We have more important things to do than cry about what someone says. I truly love to learn data analysis and wish to learn more from you all in that regard.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.