Please explain what I did wrong (exercise four and five)?

Exercise Four: "Switch"

var user = prompt ("Do you want to play a game? Yes? No?").toUpperCase();

switch(user) {
case 'Character':
console.log("You are a lonely travler on a quest to restore status to your family and wealth to your person. Cliche? Yes, but this will not be entire narrative.");
break;
case 'Environment':
console.log("You reside in a world that is both physical and supernatural. In addition, in this society, the Earth has been devestated by an international war and the remnants of humanity can space travel. A universe that would make any otaku stand in awe!");
break;
case 'Items':
console.log("In this world, technology that spans the last ten centuries reside. Swords, Bows, Guns, Lasers, Steam Engines, Combustion Engines, Wheeled-Vehicles, Hover-Vehicles, the whole nine-yards!");
break;
default:
console.log("You" + user + "will undergo an adventure that will be unforgetable.");
}

This exercise was correct. The problem lies in exercise number five.

Exercise Five: Logical Operators

switch(user) {
case 'Character':
var Selection = prompt ("Do you want to take a quest (YES or NO)?").toUpperCase();
var Chosen = prompt ("Do you want to be a lonely traveller?").toUpperCase();
if (Selection === 'Yes' || Chosen === 'Yes')
return ("Congratulations Warrior, the path you have chosen will be rigorous, but rewarding!");
} else {
return ("No? The destiny most sought is found on the path least traveled and when one is alone. You lose.");
}
break;
case 'Environment':
var Routine = prompt ("Do you come from a distant village in the country(YES or NO)?").toUpperCase();
var Change = prompt ("Do you want to leave now?").toUpperCase();
if(Routine === 'Yes' && Change === 'Yes'){
return ("Wonderful! In your desire to make haste, the elder of the village gave you a map of the surrounding area. You can now avoid robbers, ferocious wild animals, and landscapes to dangerous to navigate.");
} else {
return ("Oh no! A group of raiders, who descended from the mountains, have attacked your village. In the midst of the chaos, you lost your life.");
}
break;
case 'Items':
var Treasure = prompt ("Do you want to use items to assist you in your journey(YES or NO)?").toUpperCase();
var Heirloom = prompt ("Do you want them now?").toUpperCase();
if(Treasure === 'Yes' || Heirloom === 'Yes'){
return ("YOU ARE UNSTOPPABLE! No human, alein, or demon can get in your way.");
} else {
return ("I knew you well. I hope that you will find comfort in the afterlife.");
}
break;
default:
return ("Your name will be greater than all warriors of the past, combined!");
}

I think that the problem lies in the fact that I deviated from the previous syntax. Overall, I struggled with making re-writing exercise four in order to execute the "if/else" statements.

If user types yes the method String.toUpperCase gives you YES.

So check your code and correct it on all switch cases and if statements

Do you mean add the option "No"?

var Selection = prompt ("Do you want to take a quest (YES or NO)?").toUpperCase();

I type now "yes" toUpperCase makes my String to "YES"

var Selection has now the value = "YES"

Here you check is Selection Yes it could never be Yes cause you use .toUpperCase

if (Selection === 'Yes' || Chosen === 'Yes')

So change ".toUpperCase();" to ".toLowerCase();" and that should make the code function properly?

Nope,

you doesnt compare the rigth values

'Yes' is not 'YES or 'yes'

Change this Selection === 'Yes' to Selection === 'YES'

I performed the recommendation that you have given me and I still receive an error message. I must have done something wrong elsewhere in the code.

Please post the new code here.
And the Error message

switch(user) {
case 'Character':
var Chosen = prompt ("Do you want to be a lonely traveller?").toUpperCase();
if(Selection === 'YES' || Chosen === 'YES')
return("Congratulations Warrior, the path you have chosen will be rigorous, but rewarding!");
} else {
return("No? The destiny most sought is found on the path least traveled and when one is alone. You lose.");
}
break;
case 'Environment':
var Routine = prompt ("Do you come from a distant village in the country(YES or NO)?").toUpperCase();
var Change = prompt ("Do you want to leave now?".toUpperCase();
if(Routine === 'YES' && Change === 'YES'){
return("Wonderful! In your desire to make haste, the elder of the village gave you a map of the surrounding area. You can now avoid robbers, ferocious wild animals, and landscapes to dangerous to navigate.");
} else {
return("Oh no! A group of raiders, who descended from the mountains, have attacked your village. In the midst of the chaos, you lost your life.");
}
break;
case 'Items':
var Treasure = prompt ("Do you want to use items to assist you in your journey(YES or NO)?").toUpperCase();
var Heirloom = prompt ("Do you want them now?").toUpperCase();
if(Treasure === 'YES' || Heirloom === 'YES'){
return("YOU ARE UNSTOPPABLE! No human, alein, or demon can get in your way.");
} else {
return("I knew you well. I hope that you will find comfort in the afterlife.");
}
break;
default:
return("Your name will be greater than all warriors of the past, combined!");
}

The error message is this: "SyntaxError: Illegal return statement."

I have used the "console.log" and that too did not work.

Like i explain

switch(user) { 
case 'Character': // all this cases will never work think about Method .toUpperCase

Transform the "Yes" into "YES" and the "No" into "NO". Do the additional parentheses in the string pose as a problem for the syntax?

Character is not CHARACTER.

So you should change the all Cases in your switch too