Plan Your Trip!

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-beginner-P5YtY/1/6?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a very simple answer I am still very new to Python and coding in general. I'm not having any issues with completing the tasks but I am having issues fully understanding what I am doing. In my code for the exercise you complete it by entering print trip_cost("Los Angeles", 5, 600). I understand how Python can reference back "Los Angeles" but I dont understand how it assumes 5 for days and adds 600 into the extra cost of the trip. My only thought is that trip_cost must be a set function? Sorry again if this is very simple concept and if this is the wrong place to submit this. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is my code for reference:

def hotel_cost(nights):
    return 140* nights
def plane_ride_cost(city):
    if city == "Charlotte":
        return 183
    elif city == "Tampa":
        return 220
    elif city == "Pittsburgh":
        return 222
    elif city == "Los Angeles":
        return 475
def rental_car_cost(days):
    cost = days * 40
    if days >= 7:
        cost = cost - 50
    elif days >= 3 and days < 7:
        cost = cost - 20
    return cost
def trip_cost(city, days, spending_money):
    return rental_car_cost(days) + hotel_cost(days) + plane_ride_cost(city) + spending_money
print trip_cost("Los Angeles", 5, 600)

your function:

def trip_cost(city, days, spending_money):

you have 3 parameters, for each parameter you need to supply an argument:

print trip_cost("Los Angeles", 5, 600)

the arguments are copied into the parameter:

city = "Los Angeles"
days = 5
spending_money = 600

what is the struggle?

Sorry I didn't communicate this very well when posting this last night. My issue I think is lack of understanding of the program itself or its possible that I am missing theory somewhere. What I didn't understand is that trip_cost is a user defined function. Now looking at it a little more attentively I see on the line following return cost, that we are use the header def to define the function trip_cost. In here we include the parameters and their matching arguments. Sorry for posting something trivial. I'm going to blame working on this till 7am as the contributing factor.

and what is your question for me?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.