Places to Code

Hello! I am wondering if there are other places to code other than the Terminal on Mac OS. Are there other outside applications where I can write Python or SQL or similar programs in, that have an interface more similar to Codecademy’s (ability to edit large chunks of code, separate modules for the code and the results, etc.)? I just find Terminal very difficult to use, and I’d like to be able to use these programs and extensions in another interface if possible, perhaps independent applications. Thank you!

I believe what you are looking for is called an IDE or code editor like VS Code or Atom

1 Like

To write sql, something like heidisql (windows) or sequel pro (mac) is also really helpful.

You could always take a look at REPL.it :slight_smile:

Thank you! I downloaded Sequel Pro for Mac, but it won’t let me use anything without entering a connection or setting up some Socket/SSH connection. I tried using SQL on VS Coder and it also wouldn’t let me do anything without setting up a connection. It keeps prompting me for a Server Name or ADO.NET connection string but I have no idea what any of that stuff is.

I have database files on my computer that I’d like to use (CSV and SQL files), but neither of these lets me directly use those without some Connection Profile. What do I do?

CSV and SQL files can be used to export and import data, the files itself are not a database.

You would need to run a database (like mySQL) and use sequel pro to connect to your database