Pipenv instaling

Hi guys :slight_smile:

I try to install pipenv from terminal like in https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python-3/videos/learn-python3-pipenv

I did everything step by step but terminal show me:

Could not build wheels for pipenv, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for virtualenv-clone, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for virtualenv, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for certifi, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for setuptools, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for pip, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for distlib, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for six, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for filelock, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for appdirs, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for importlib-metadata, since package 'wheel' is not installed.
Could not build wheels for zipp, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

can You help me ?

Greetings

Try upgrading pip with the following code…

For Linux or macOS:

pip install -U pip

For Windows :

python -m pip install -U pip

Then try doing it again

I had a problem like this trying to install Pygame, and after updating it installed correctly.
:grinning:

1 Like

thx :slight_smile:

i did like You sad, but then shows:

Could not build wheels for pip, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

Hi there.

The error is telling you what’s failing.

When you try and install a package using pip, where possible it will do so by retrieving a package called a wheel. If one doesn’t exist, it retrieves the source files and attempts to build a wheel for it locally.

This is what is failing on your device; pip is attempting to build a wheel, can’t, and so you’re getting the error.

You can probably fix it by running pip install wheel, which will install the wheel package that pip uses to build wheels.

1 Like

When I type pip --version I get -bash: pip: command not found. not sure how to proceed.

You’re supposed to be in Command Prompt, not Bash

not necessarily

1 Like

Then I’m assuming he didn’t add the Pathing to his Environment Variables. Forgive me, as I’m a newby as well.

Yeah whatever environment they’re in, they’d need to install the program they mean to use. (obviously)

Or, if as you suggest, they use multiple environments, then they’d need to use the one where they installed their program.

hi :slight_smile:
i did like you said and it work, but I’m still stucking on it.

i did the pip install --user pipenv

but then i get

Requirement already satisfied: pipenv in c:\users\pieni\appdata\roaming\python\python37\site-packages (2018.11.26)
Requirement already satisfied: pip>=9.0.1 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\local\programs\python\python37-32\lib\site-packages (from pipenv) (20.1)
Requirement already satisfied: virtualenv-clone>=0.2.5 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\roaming\python\python37\site-packages (from pipenv) (0.5.4)
Requirement already satisfied: virtualenv in c:\users\pieni\appdata\roaming\python\python37\site-packages (from pipenv) (20.0.18)
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools>=36.2.1 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\local\programs\python\python37-32\lib\site-packages (from pipenv) (40.8.0)
Requirement already satisfied: certifi in c:\users\pieni\appdata\local\programs\python\python37-32\lib\site-packages (from pipenv) (2020.4.5.1)
Requirement already satisfied: six<2,>=1.9.0 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\local\programs\python\python37-32\lib\site-packages (from virtualenv->pipenv) (1.14.0)
Requirement already satisfied: filelock<4,>=3.0.0 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\roaming\python\python37\site-packages (from virtualenv->pipenv) (3.0.12)
Requirement already satisfied: importlib-metadata<2,>=0.12; python_version < "3.8" in c:\users\pieni\appdata\local\programs\python\python37-32\lib\site-packages (from virtualenv->pipenv) (1.6.0)
Requirement already satisfied: distlib<1,>=0.3.0 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\roaming\python\python37\site-packages (from virtualenv->pipenv) (0.3.0)
Requirement already satisfied: appdirs<2,>=1.4.3 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\roaming\python\python37\site-packages (from virtualenv->pipenv) (1.4.3)
Requirement already satisfied: zipp>=0.5 in c:\users\pieni\appdata\local\programs\python\python37-32\lib\site-packages (from importlib-metadata<2,>=0.12; python_version < "3.8"->virtualenv->pipenv) (3.1.0)

and when i check
pipenv --version
i get
bash: pipenv: command not found

thanks for your help, your tips are on point. :slight_smile:

anyone know what to do in this case ?

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#Command-Search-and-Execution

if you want a command to be found, as opposed to not found, then you will need to

1. ensure it exists
  2. ensure the strategy in the above link will find it
2 Likes

Some sites suggest that you need to install Pipenv globally. This helped me:

sudo -H pip install -U pipenv

source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46391721/pipenv-command-not-found

1 Like

Sure, in the same way that you need a sledgehammer to stir your tea.
Just don’t be surprised if your package manager complains about file conflicts a couple months later.

2 Likes

Hi, I also followed the video and the pipenv seems to not be found:
zsh: command not found: pipenv

When I try to install pipenv once again, I am no longer getting an error telling that pipenv and pipenv-resolver are installed not on PATH, so everything seem to be fine.

When I go back to my first installation, I recall getting an error that two other items are not installed on PATH, but I only installed the pipenv and pipenv-resolver, so maybe that was the issue?

i did uninstall by

pip uninstall pipenv

and then install one more time, and it’s works on my computer

Thank you, I uninstalled both pip and pipenv, but am still getting an error:

zsh: command not found: pipenv

I resolved my problem by good old fashioned computer restart. Thank you @hubek for taking time to help.

1 Like