'pip' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I’m currently on the installation of pipenv video of the Python course. The first step is to check if pip is installed by typing “pip --version” into the command line.
The command line is supposed to return the location of pip and its version.
However, in my case, the command line returns
“‘pip’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”
I have installed Anacanda. Pip is ticked and green in the installed tab of Anaconda Navigator. Please help

Welcome to the forums.

What is your OS?

What’s the location of your pip installation?
What happens when you type echo %PATH% ?

See here.

And this thread might also help.

1 Like

Hi
Thank you for your quick response :slightly_smiling_face:

What is your OS?
My Os is Windows 10
What’s the location of your pip installation?
I’m not sure. I am assuming the response to your next question answers this?
What happens when you type echo %PATH% ?
C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Users\13306\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\13306\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin

The thread helped the most, specifically reply 66 incase someone has a similar issue

I understand that it (installing things) can be a bit overwhelming. :grimacing:
Just remember: this isn’t like incorrectly entering the nuclear codes. It’s gonna be okay and is fixable. :slight_smile: Basically, pip needs to be installed in the same directory that python is installed.
Sometimes stepping away from the computer for a break necessary as well.

Did you follow the instructions in the lesson’s video starting at ~ 9 min in (installing in the correct directory and on PATH)? It means that you have to edit the system environment variables. You’re getting that pip error b/c pip (the python package manager) isn’t installed in the correct spot on your machine. Maybe these instructions will help?

I’ve always been a touch confused by the inclusion of this one. You wind up mixing three different routes to manage packages (conda, pip & pipenv) which is just asking for trouble :smile:.

@lisalisaj’s advice for getting python on your PATH should work perfectly well.

My ten cents would be that if you’re already using conda you can get away with just conda install and manage your environments using conda itself- Managing environments — conda 4.10.0.post11+8e51ebbdb documentation

If you’re unable to access conda in your terminal consider using the anaconda prompt (under start) for cmd or powershell as you prefer.

If you have need of pipenv then conda also has routes to install pipenv- conda install --channel conda-forge pipenv (needs conda-forge as the default channels probably won’t have it). For that environment you can then start using pipenv as you wish.

That’s just an alternative with roughly the same end result, work with whatever makes the most sense to you :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like