Pip install

Hi all,

I am looking at the pip virtual environment installation instructions here: https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-science/tracks/dscp-python-fundamentals/modules/dscp-python-modules/videos/learn-python3-pipenv

This video shows me how to check which version of pip I have installed, but not how to install it. I do not quite understand what more I need to do, but command prompt is telling me that no version of pip is installed. I have the full Anaconda package installed on my computer and it was my impression that this also includes the latest version of pip. Using both command prompt and Spyder, I cannot find pip installed on the computer. This seems like me not doing the right thing, but the video does not have any suggestions to rectify a missing pip install. Where should I start?

Edit: This is a super confusing video. I was just installing modules and now I am running a virtual environment from a text editor (unsuccessfully). I got CMD to recognize python and pip. Apparently I had to download a different version of python from Windows store. So now that it is working in CMD, the text editor I have - Spyder - is not recognizing pipenv and the pip version is earlier than that found in CMD. The bottom line is I have no idea what I am doing but it sure seems like a great way to overload my computer with duplications and junk without any explanation or reason for doing so.

Welcome to python. Maybe one of the easiest languages to start with, but with a serious difficulty curve when it comes with installations.

You should first note that pip and pipenv are different. Anaconda comes with pip installed.

On your terminal, you should type pip --version and see what comes out.
You can also type in your terminal conda list and that should list out all the packages anaconda has installed in your computer.
Share any output the terminal gives here and people will be able to recommend actions (also share what system your on… osx, windows, linux, etc…).

It took me months to really wrap head python installs (those included a full intro unix course). So I really couldn’t de-clutter the excess installs till later.

It’s normal for it to be confusing at first.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I was able to finish installation via command prompt. The instructional video then switches from command prompt to the text editor. For some reason my text editor is not recognizing pipenv.
From my Spyder console:

Python 3.8.5 (default, Sep  3 2020, 21:29:08) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)]
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

IPython 7.19.0 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.

pipenv --version
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<ipython-input-1-4995805067e2>", line 1, in <module>
    pipenv --version

NameError: name 'pipenv' is not defined

but pip in Spyder is working on an earlier version than I have in command prompt:

pip --version
pip 20.2.4 from C:\Users\Nick\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.8)

Note: you may need to restart the kernel to use updated packages.

After reading Spyder docs on GitHub it indicates a way to update pip in Spyder but not without breaking the installation of Anaconda. Does anyone know a way to update to pip version 21.0 in Spyder without “breaking the Anaconda installation”?

From GitHub:
Advanced Installation:
" 2. We also support pip , but please be aware that pip installations are for advanced users with good knowledge of all Spyder dependencies. Because of that, all installation problems you encounter are expected to be solved by you."

Should I not be messing with pip or pipenv in Spyder? If so, what should I be using to keep up with the lesson on virtual environments? I think I am more confused than I was at the beginning of this thread.

I’ll hazard a guess that you’re using Spyder that came bundled with anaconda. I’ve not used Spyder in a while but I believe they no longer directly support installation (of Spyder itself) via PyPI (package repo that pip uses) and I assume that’s why there’s a warning message about using it.

If you’re using conda and you find it useful then I’d suggest avoiding pip and pipenv for the most part. Conda has package management and organises it’s own repositories. For installating various new packages you should probably try and stick to using conda install to do so (and only using pip if you have to; the docs at least used to suggest installing packages via conda first and then intalling any packages via pip afterwards). Whilst you can use pip you do run a slightly higher risk of interoperability problems ( though it’s not as bad as it used to be)- Anaconda | Using Pip in a Conda Environment

For virtual environments conda also has it’s own options- Managing environments — conda 4.9.2.post24+e37cf84a documentation so there’s no pressing need for pipenv.

It boils down to whether you’re happy working mostly with conda. If you are then you can ignore pip and pipenv for the most part. If you’d rather not work with conda (or cannot) then it’s worth spending a little time looking into pip, venv, pipenv and similar options.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. These are alternatives to each other for the most part. I understand now. Thank you. Perhaps it would be wise for Codeacademy to update the pipenv training video that is now three years old. I appreciate the help.