Pig Latin up to pop quiz

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-2W5v7/0/6?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096 < exercice link

Hello!
i m kind of having a wierd problem, seeing as the site is saying my code is correct and letting me proceeed but something is wrong.
okay, so the problem is that after i type in a word, be it just letters, numbers or leving it empty and hit enter nothing really happens, until i hit enter again, but then it´s empty, so i get the empty return. so i don´t really know what i´m doing wrong. Edit: if i type the word twice it works, but it isn´t supposed to be like that, is it?
any help would be much appreciated!

heres my code:

print 'Welcome to the Pig Latin Translator!'

# Start coding here!
raw_input('Enter a word:')
original = raw_input()
if len(original) > 0 and original.isalpha():
    print original
else:
    print "empty"

you should store the result of raw_input() in original:

original =raw_input('Enter a word:')

you have two raw_inputs, you only need one

1- You want to affect to original the input of the user when the computer printout Enter a word: so the syntaxe is original = raw_input('Enter a word:') not :

2- It's preferable to use more parentheses... Eg: if ((cond1) and (cond2)):

thanks a lot! working now

thanks again! its working now

why on earth are more parentheses preferable?

original is absolutely a variable, it is where you store the user input from raw_input

you are misunderstanding...
1- I say 'original' is not a variable original do! 'original' is a string or I'm i wrong Mr/Miss @stetim94 ?!
2- Parentheses makes you avoid unexpected errors!

'original' is a string not a variable... is what you said, but in all cases here it should be a variable, as it is done right by mzreaper, what you say here might cause confusen

With parentheses you actually reduce readability, and with such simple conditions you really don't need them

think there might be a little confusion here as i removed the '' from original in an edit, maybe after response

Thanks @mzreaper. @stetim94 :rolling_eyes:

i didn't see that edit, the moment i looked at the line it was correct