Perceptron Exercise

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-science/tracks/perceptrons-and-neural-nets-skill-path/modules/perceptrons-skill-path/projects/perceptron-logic-gates

Hi there,
I am doing the perceptron exercise part of the perceptron module and I am getting stuck on step 9. On the walkthrough video, the demonstrator is getting

[-4. 1. -1.5]

as the result. I am not getting this for some reason when my code matches this exactly.

Instead I get 

[-2. 2. 0.]

My code is below

data = [ [0,0], [0,1], [1,0], [1,1] ]
labels = [0,0,0,1]

plt.scatter([point[0] for point in data], 
            [point[1] for point in data], 
            c=labels)

classifier = Perceptron(max_iter=40)
classifier.fit(data, labels)
print(classifier.score(data, labels))
print(classifier.decision_function([[0, 0], [1, 1], [0.5, 0.5]]))

plt.show()

Any help here would be great

That is interesting (and confirmed different from the video though all the code seems to be exactly the same). Maybe it’s an older version of the scikit learn that the video is using. I’ll see if this discrepancy means anything.

2 Likes

Great, Will be good to know. Not only are the numbers different but the size of the values in the list I get
[-2. 2. 0.]

This means I get both the first to values the same distant away from the line when in fact point 2 should be closer than point 1

Any further update here?

Let me tag someone else who is more into ML at the moment, I got swamped with other work. Thanks for checking up!

1 Like

Could you try downloading the two different versions of this package (whatever you’re using on your own PC and the one on Codecademy’s learning environment)? If you stick them each in their own environment then I think that’d be the easiest way to check if the same exact script produced different values due to versioning alone.

It seems to be the order of the input data:

#labels = [0, 1, 0,0]
data, labels = [[0,0],[0,1],[1,0],[1,1]], [0,0,0,1]
#data = [ [0,0], [0,1], [1,0], [1,1] ]
#labels = [0,0,0,1]
validation = [[0, 0], [1, 1], [0.5, 0.5]]

plt.scatter([x for x,y in data],[y for x,y in data], c = labels)
plt.show()

classifier = Perceptron(max_iter = 40)

print(classifier.decision_function(validation))

plt.scatter([point[0] for point in data], 
            [point[1] for point in data], 
            c=labels)

#classifier = Perceptron(max_iter=40)
print(classifier.decision_function(validation))

plt.show()

I get your results with the order you posted and their results with the order I used (1st set of commented data/labels).

Now why that’s the case I’m not sure. I’ll try to look into it.

2 Likes

I’m sure we must be getting close. I tried sklearn in a Python2 environment and I got [-4. 1. -1.5]. The same script in Python3 yielded [-2. 2. 0.]. A bit blunt perhaps but quicker than getting multiple different package versions.

Perhaps a change of argument order in the function (hence why two slightly different datasets also alter output that much). That is a complete guess, I’ve not used the function before so I can’t really add much else. It wouldn’t surprise me if the python version was updated for these lessons at some point (between when the video was made and now) which necessitated a few package changes.

Anyone have the link to the video walkthrough?

1 Like

Hey, Thanks for looking into this. Yes the order does seem to change the output. But When I use the data and labels that are commented out
#labels = [0, 1, 0, 0]
I get

[-1. -2. -1.5]

That pair of labels and data don’t correspond to an AND gate.

looks like I didn’t copy the top line of my data:

# my data order
data = [[0,0], [1,1], [0,1], [1,0]]
labels = [0, 1, 0,0]

#labels = [0,0,0,1]
validation = [[0, 0], [1, 1], [0.5, 0.5]]

It also looks like you had the data in the same order as the video.

I ran a “test suite” on the exercise locally and got different answers for each data permutation:

Data: [[0, 0], [0, 1], [1, 0], [1, 1]]
Labels: [0, 0, 0, 1]
Score: 1.0
DV: [-2.  2.  0.]

Data: [[1, 1], [0, 0], [0, 1], [1, 0]]
Labels: [1, 0, 0, 0]
DV: [-2.   1.  -0.5]

Data: [[0, 0], [0, 1], [1, 1], [1, 0]]
Labels: [0, 0, 1, 0]
DV: [-3.  1. -1.]

Data: [[0, 0], [1, 1], [0, 1], [1, 0]]
Labels: [0, 1, 0, 0]
DV: [-4.   1.  -1.5]

I’ve tried searching to see if order matters but can’t find anything.

1 Like

It looks like the order of the inputs does end up generating different models: Perceptron Project: AND Heatmap not Displaying Correctly

I ran a 1000 iteration simulation where I generated a certain number of data points (4 or 10000) and fit the Perceptron. The results are below:

2 Likes