Password Authentication Unit: Dognation

I’ve been plodding along with the “Writing Secure Applications” unit and I’m finally at the Dognation project only:

There is no index.js and no little file explorer icon either ?? I mean I scrolled through and do see a potential place where I could put what they’re asking me to do but…would like not to spend 6 years on getting this project to work. I’d feel a lot better if the file names matched up accordingly. Did anyone else complete this project ??? I reported the mismatch but just wanted to see if anyone in the CC hive finished it with some creative workarounds. Ill keep at it and try to implement some of the other steps.

Well I got along some what with some of the more basic steps. It’s more or less a rehash of what’s in the cheatsheet but beyond the boiler plate code… I’m a little confused.

Compuzzled

Maybe I’m being thick/confusing my Ruby skillz here but there is no config route… Just what I set up with the basics I’ve been working on. I think this project would be a good candidate for a video walk through with that guy who has the super Chicago accent.

Yes, I recently did this project too. The index.js file is not there but the instructions for index.js are referring to app.js. I am working through the same skill-path as well and it’s good stuff but new content and needs some bug-reports for sure. So I submit them when I run into something that is not right.

1 Like

I got through this but agree it would have been helpful to have the file-explorer available. The ejs-files which render the view and the helper-file are not accessible so it’s hard to get the big picture. For the config/passport.js they are just referring to the passport.js file in the config directory. We can’t see the directories without the explorer but there is only one passports.js. Also, for the last step - I don’t think it’s mentioned that we need to start the server to see all the nice puppies:

node app.js
1 Like

Same ! I’ve been bug reporting too. And you’re right they’ve omitted the node app.js step in a couple of their examples though I knew put it in anyways. I’ve also had problems prior to the project where nothing renders in the mini browser though that might just be a me problem. But in re: the bug reporting: I don’t know the efficacy of it because I’ve seen some threads on here where the bugs persist some two years later.

Thanks for getting back to me: Good to know it was app/index same with the config. I filled in what seemed apparent but moved on to 02Auth so I’ll go back and fiddle with it now.

1 Like

I submitted some feedback on the OAuth2 section as well. There you will first create an oauth2-server in a lesson. Then at the end there is a project to hook an app up as a client to build login with GitHub OAuth2 strategy. The thing that you have to read between the lines a bit is what this oauth2-server package in the lesson is for. It’s essentially (my understanding) to create an OAuth2 server and then other servers can connect to it (and this is where we hopefully charge them some cash for our amazing API we built). So first we are building the OAuth server and then for the Github-login we are building the client (although we are still building a server in a way - with express).

1 Like

I mean that does sound pretty neat… about to re-tackle the doggos… Hopefully I get to server today. Ill definitely keep that in mind once I get to those sections. May the coding gods smile on us both.

1 Like

Aw heck

And its going but now I noticed this typo here too … This poor exercise is having itself a minor day.

I finished the project but no doggos rendered to my screen :frowning: attaching my own doggo because mood

that must be my browser… although the OAuth stuff rendered. :upside_down_face:

1 Like