Passing a range into a function

Hello friends,

I could not understand the concept of range function and i feel confusing with index,whether it starts with 0 or starts with 1. So. couldnot move further. I request friends to help me and also clear the doubt of how range function works. The task given in the exercise is to On line 6, replace the ____ with a range() that returns a list containing [0, 1, 2].
I am not sure whether i missed out to give the list x in the program

def my_function(x):
        for i in range(0, len(x)):
            x[i] = x[i] * 2
        return x

print my_function( )) # Add your range between the parentheses!

there is one simple way to find out where the range function starts, run:

print range(3)

this will output:

[0, 1, 2]

so counting starts at zero, now i sort of gave a away what you need to do with your function call. range is a shorthand for a for loop, range(3) converted to a for loop would be:

for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++)

which will also output 0,1,2

You could read about range in the official python documentation (link)

Thanks. So range is used to store values same as its index basically I mean if we don't manipulate the values inside the function. It will contain the values same as its index. Please correct me if i am wrong.

You have a function which you pass a argument x:

def my_function(x):

and then when you call your function:

print my_function(range(3))

now range is a list ([0,1,2]) (which you can see if you do: print range(3)), which is why you have a for loop in your in your function, does that make sense?

Thanks a lot. I have completed the task. I have understood that range is used to generate lists which is passed to a function. Inside function for loop is used to modify values.

def my_function(x):
      for i in range(0,len(x)):
         x[i] = x[i] * 2 
      return x
    x=[0,1,2]
    print my_function(range(0, len(x)))

uhm... no? It should be:

def my_function(x):
         x[i] = x[i] * 2 
      return x
print my_function(range(3))

range is a list, you can parse it into the function directly. Then your for loop will go over the list, and multiply everything by two

yeah, I agree. But i have calculated length using the function len(x), into which list object is passed. Obviously, it evaluates to 3. It is also correct right

But the beauty of this code is that you can simple pass a bigger range in the function if you want that:

def my_function(x):
         x[i] = x[i] * 2 
      return x
print my_function(range(6))

len(x) will make sure all numbers in the list will get the * 2 treatment.

yeah absolutely,thanks. Then there is no need to write the stament x=[0,1,2]. Becasue range itself generate the list.Please see my rewritten code as below and let me know your suggestions

def my_function(x):
     x[i] = x[i] * 2 
  return x
#x=[0,1,2]
#print my_function(range(0, len(x)))
print my_function(range(6))

That is the right code. range generates the list indeed, so no need to define that

@stetim94. Thanks a lot for your explaination