Orion Constellation - Data science path

Ok I think I have done it correctly and you should be able to see and interact with the project using jupyter notebook

Is this the best way to present my project or should I include other things?
:slight_smile:
This is my first time actually attempting to post my project on here and my brain hurts

Hi @swetnamw,

Congrats on finishing up and well done for attempting an extra constellation at the end. A little extra effort can often go a long way.

If you’re looking for a little critique-
Always be wary of using yellow as a colour to plot, it shows a very poor contrast on a white background which can be exacerbated by certain screens and even more so if it was reproduced in a printout. In this instance perhaps consider making a black background if you want yellow which is a much stronger contrast.

Secondly, please consider adding some labels. Unlabelled data could be almost anything. It makes the reader have to work much harder to absorb the data you’ve provided which is the opposite intention of using a figure in the first place.

Also, have a close look at your 3D figure. I expect all the scatter points actually sit on the xy plane at z=0.0. This is because the standard matplotlib.pyplot.scatter function is only a 2D plotting function. You need to be using the .scatter() method of your 3D axis object to get a proper 3D representation:

ax3d = fig.add_subplot(1,1,1,projection="3d"))
ax3d.scatter(x, y, z, ...

You’ll see this more clearly if you rotate the plot and definitely in your final figure as your z data has been interpreted as marker size (s) and each point is a different size. Just make sure to use the axis method instead.

2 Likes

ah I see, i was wondering why it was so flat. I think I miss understood the instructions on the page. I have made the corrections to the 3d at least. im honestly not 100% sure of what the x y and z axis represent myself.

1 Like

It’s described in the linked paper but it’s a little convoluted. I’m actually a bit on the fence about them myself. You could probably get away with calling them x, y, z displacement in metres since they adapted them to that for their physical model.

That’s arguably a shifted and visualised metre based on light years but it’s probably irrelevant to the purpose of the figure.