Oops, try again. Your code returned 'rock' instead of 'undefined' when the inputs are scissors and paper

Hello i'm trying to solve the game Build "Rock, Paper, Scissors", but at the moment i am stuck with the game.

I didn't change anything of this function. The function literally is:

var compare = function(choice1,choice2){
    if(choice1 === choice2){
        return "The result is a tie!";
    }else if(choice1 === "scissors"){
        return "rock";
    }else if(choice2 === "rock"){
        return "paper wins";
    }else{
        return "scissors wins";   
    }
};

i call the function with the follow way:
compare(userChoice,computerChoice);

The error message is the follow:

Oops, try again. Your code returned 'rock' instead of 'undefined' when the inputs are scissors and paper

the complete code:

var userChoice = prompt("Do you choose rock, paper or scissors?");
var computerChoice = Math.random();
if (computerChoice < 0.34) {
	computerChoice = "rock";
} else if(computerChoice <= 0.67) {
	computerChoice = "paper";
} else {
	computerChoice = "scissors";
} 
console.log("Computer: " + computerChoice);

var compare = function(choice1,choice2){
    if(choice1 === choice2){
        return "rock";
        return "paper wins";
    }else{
        return "scissors wins";   
    }
};

I believe it should be choice2. The error said that it shouldn't return anything if input is either paper or scissors but you're returning "rock" when input is scissors.

Can i ask something about the game because i'm not understanding at the last what i'm doing.

if(choice1 === choice2){

return "paper wins";
    }else{
        return "scissors wins";   
    }

I evaluate different options, the computer and me will have rock, paper, scissor. But first thing i check if we have the same element then we have tie. If not i check if i have scissors and i do nothing. After if the computer has rock, it will win. And if i didnt comply, nothing of these, i will have "scissors wins". Can you explain me better why at last scissors will win? Sorry but it is to be sure that i understand well the excercise. Thanks a lot.

I believe you're misreading the instructions here. I think you're on lesson 6. Logically, the way you want to set the game up is to have a computer return rock, paper, or scissors randomly and have the user prompt. Then, for every choice the user can make, if the computer plays a winning choice, computer wins. If player and computer plays same choice, its a tie etc etc.

What they want is to only focus on what if user inputs rock, if it matches the computer's choice, it's a tie. If computer plays paper, it wins. If computer plays scissors, user wins.

if(choice1 === choice2){
    }else if(choice1 === "rock"){

if(choice2 === "foo"){
        return "foo";
    }else{
        return "foo";   
    }
}

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.