Official Community Event: Jumpstart Your Career in Tech

2023-05-18T04:00:00Z

About this event

Are you considering one of the many careers in tech? Maybe you’re switching from an entirely unrelated field or you’re a university student just getting started. Either way, you’ll want to join us for this AMA-style conversation with Codecademy’s very own instructors, Alisha, Ada, and Adam.

So how is this going to work? We will unlock the designated forum thread at 1 pm EST on May 18th. You’ll be able to post your career-development questions in the thread from 1pm until the thread closes at 3pm. EST.

“What kind of questions?” you ask.

How about:

-What should I put on my LinkedIn profile?

-Do completion certificates really matter?

-Etc.

Logistics

When: Thursday, May 18, 2023, from 1-3 pm EST

What: An AMA-style conversation w/ Codecademy’s Alisha Grama, Ada Morse, and Adam Herman.

Where: On the Codecademy Forums [Click ‘Join Event’ on the event page here on Bevy to participate]

Our Guests

Alisha Grama is a Senior Instructional Designer at Codecademy. She majored in Computer Science and minored in Ethics at the University of Rochester, where she gained experience as a Teaching Assistant. Before joining Codecademy, she taught STEM concepts to secondary students, including as the Lead Algebra Teacher at a Brooklyn charter school.

During Alisha’s time at Codecademy, she has worked on a variety of courses, including the Pass the Technical Interview paths (in Python, Java, and JavaScript) and two courses for the Computer Science Path, namely Data Structures and Algorithms and Discrete Math. She also led the development of Intermediate and Advanced Java.

Ada Morse is a Data Science Instructional Designer at Codecademy. She has a background in mathematics, with a Ph.D. focused on the design of self-assembling DNA nanostructures. DNA has incredible potential as a material in biomedicine and biomolecular computing, but the unique geometry of DNA makes designing nanostructures computationally difficult. In her Ph.D., she developed new mathematical tools to understand when a given nanostructure can or can’t be built using DNA.

Prior to Codecademy, Ada worked as an Actuarial Systems Analyst, taught mathematics and statistics at Champlain College, and conducted research supported by NASA/Vermont Space Grant Consortium. Ada has worked on courses across our Data Science catalog, covering topics including Python, Excel, and Data Engineering.

Adam Herman is the Curriculum Manager at Codecademy. He is a former special education teacher that is excited by the opportunity to help people work towards careers in tech! In his free time, he enjoys hiking, reading, and playing board games.

Steps to Attend

Click on the RSVP button below.

Enter your first name, last name, and email.

Remember to check that box to join our chapter!

Your RSVP will guarantee your entry, whether you have a free or paid subscription. However, failure to attend the event will decrease your chances of attending events with limited availability.

Check your inbox for updates, and make sure to log into the forums before the event.

Attendance Disclaimer

At Codecademy, we are committed to empowering all people, regardless of where they are in their coding journeys, to continue to learn, grow, and impact the world around them. By participating in our event, you agree to the following:

Be Respectful: Harassment, bullying, or threatening will not be tolerated. We welcome learners of all backgrounds here, and we ask that you respect each others’ viewpoints and assume positive intent.

Be Authentic: While you are not required to provide your name and are always welcome to go by a username, please refrain from misrepresenting yourself in the community in a misleading way.

Adhere to the Law: Please only share your code (if relevant to the event) or content unless you are crediting the original author or source. Do not share code that infringes on others’ intellectual property. Do not share harmful code or anything that violates local, state, federal, or international laws.

Questions? Comments? Email [email protected]. And if you can’t attend this event and would like to attend more in the future, join our chapter.

Welcome to our first AMA-style event in our “Ask an Instructor” series!

A few ground rules:

-Stay on topic. Our instructors will be discussing how to jumpstart your career in tech. Any account-specific questions such as billing questions should be sent to our customer support team.

-Be patient. Our instructors will be taking it in turns to answer your questions, and it may take them a moment to craft a detailed, helpful response to some of your questions. If your question has not been answered yet, please don’t clutter the thread by repeating the question. We will do our best to answer as many questions as possible.

-Be kind. Learners are all at different stages of their learning journeys. What may seem obvious to a more experienced coder may be completely new territory to someone just starting out.

Without further ado, I’m thrilled to welcome @adamorse , @adamh1991 , and @alishagrama .

9 Likes

How could i go about getting an internship in the states/EU if i currently don’t live there. Do i have to have some really good projects to really get the chance?

Hi, Where is the link to join the event, I have registered but I can not enter. Thanks

1 Like

Should we be on a zoom call? Or just posting questions here?

Hey, you are in it right now. Hello! We are going to communicate over text.

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue.

Hello! You can post questions here.

ahh okay got it. Thank you.

Hey there! You’re here! This is it. This is the AMA thread where you can post questions about jumpstarting your career in tech.

=)

1 Like

Ohh ok Thanks so much !

Where is the link to attend the zoom meeting?

What are some good types of projects to have on your portfolio for jobs in full stack development? Also, which language should we create the projects with if we are applying to jobs that use various languages?

1 Like

Hello! My question revolves around the current tech industry and the future outlook. As someone who is self-taught, will it be more difficult to get a swe in the future as there might be less jobs and higher competition ?

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for being here to answer our questions :grin: My first question is one from the examples. Are certificates of completion important? And Do you think a degree from a university carries significantly more weight than completion certs?

6 Likes

Hello, glad to join the event

Hi, Where is the link to join the event, I have registered but I can not enter. Thanks

What are are key things that employers look for in a LinkedIn profile?

8 Likes